Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Default Win7?

So hey guys? is the win7 64 bit version allowing for use of more than 3.5 gigs of ram then?

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Win7?

I can't get it over 3.6 or 3.7 then it crashes. I saw it in another thread here, and tried it and no matter how I tested it never got over 3.6. I'm sure people are gonna say "Rewire Reaper" But in PT itself I don't think more than 3.6

Edit: Sorry Just noticed this is HD, but maybe still relevant.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Spot on, nothing over about 3.5gig as per any other 32bit app.

cya
Ghengis
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM

From what I understand, with a 64 bit OS, each individual 32 bit program can use around 3.5G of ram.

In XP/Vista/W7 32bit, it's about 3.5G total to share between all programs.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM

so then im no better off that xp 32 bit?

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsound Recording View Post
so then im no better off that xp 32 bit?
I think you are better off with a 64 bit OS. With XP/Vista/W7 32 bit, all of your 32 bit applications have to share a total of around 3.5G ram. With W7 64bit, each 32 bit application can use up to around 3.5G of ram, no sharing. Helps quite a bit when using ram hungry rewired VI's.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better explanation.

Of course, W7 64bit is still unsupported by Avid though...
Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
I think you are better off with a 64 bit OS. With XP/Vista/W7 32 bit, all of your 32 bit applications have to share a total of around 3.5G ram. With W7 64bit, each 32 bit application can use up to around 3.5G of ram, no sharing. Helps quite a bit when using ram hungry VI's.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better explanation.

Of course, W7 64bit is still unsupported by Avid though...
are you sure about this?

can you point us to a reference?

my gut tells me that this is not the case. the OS would have to intelligently and dynamically allocate all of that RAM to the various 32 Bit apps, without them knowing what was going on, "blindfolded" as such.

with an app like PTHD, which is more than just a high-level app, including hardware, drivers, etc., i just don't see how this would work without PT getting upset about something, if you know what i mean.

i have no reference, let alone proof of this, it is merely a "gut" hypothesis. please prove me wrong!

richie.

"a paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
are you sure about this?

my gut tells me that this is not the case. the OS would have to intelligently and dynamically allocate all of that RAM to the various 32 Bit apps, without them knowing what was going on, "blindfolded" as such.

with an app like PTHD, which is more than just a high-level app, including hardware, drivers, etc., i just don't see how this would work without PT getting upset about something, if you know what i mean.

i have no reference, let alone proof of this, it is merely a "gut" hypothesis. please prove me wrong!
This is just what I've learned from some of the computer builders around here, so I'm really only repeating what I've been told. I'm hoping some of them will chime in with some more information for you. I tried searching for some specific posts regarding this, and haven't found anything to link you to yet.

I know this only works with VI's/apps rewired into PT. Each rewired app will be able to use up to 3.5-3.7G of RAM. This has worked especially well for users rewiring BFD/RAM hungry VI's into Pro Tools.

It does not work with ordinary RTAS plug-ins, as those will share RAM with Pro Tools.

Sorry, wish I had more info for you!!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
are you sure about this?

thirdeye is dead on. a 64 bit os will handle somewhere around 192gb of ram. each app is given its "own" ram allocation. 3.5-4 somewhere per 32bit app and about unlimited on a 64 bit app. this is our biggest perk of going 64 bit.

on a 32 bit os your max ram is aprox 2.7gb of usage with the "3gb switch" going for EVERYTHING. your os and apps are always sharing the same ram allocation, including the reserved ram for your vid card.

running a 64 bit os, each app including your os and vid card are given their own ram allocation which is why you can reach up to 3.7 total used ram w pt; they are not sharing! of course this will only work if you have more than 4gb installed in the machine. since it is typically in pairs for q series or older and triplets for the 17, typically 6gb min.

this is a generic simplistic breakdown, but should give you the idea.and yes this works fine w pro tools, many of us do it all the time. most of the information would be found on the windows le forum. we geek out on this stuff a lot.

here is a thread w a bit more info and bit more bickering i can link you to threads that go way more in depth but the most important info i typed out.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM

I have 8 gig's of RAM. I can get PT up to around 3.4 to 3.5, and still be on the web (on here) and run other programs. NO proof but I do it all the time.