Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Default Does PT 10 HD ilok license remove PT 9 + CPTK?

Hi all, I have regular PT 9 with Complete Production Toolkit. I'm about to upgrade to PT 10 HD. Will downloading the ilok license remove the 9 and CPTK licenses from the ilok?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Does PT 10 HD ilok license remove PT 9 + CPTK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
Hi all, I have regular PT 9 with Complete Production Toolkit. I'm about to upgrade to PT 10 HD. Will downloading the ilok license remove the 9 and CPTK licenses from the ilok?

Thanks!
Yes, but you get a 9+10 bundle as a replacement. I don't think it even touches the toolkit. You will know when you begin downloading the license to your iLok key, it says "following license(s) need to be surrendered" or something like that, and in that info popup you know which license(s) will be removed. If at that time you have a problem with it, you should contact support. But I'd guess it only eats the PT9 license.

Anyway; after the process is done, you will have a bundle of PT9 and PT10 licenses. Works just as well as separate licenses, but you cannot sell the PT9 license because it is bundled with the PT10 license (which is fair, because you upgraded thus need the original license if you want to play fair. now they just make sure we do...)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:24 AM

That's not quite correct.

There is no such thing as an "upgrade" to HD10. You can only get HD10 by buying an HD system (this includes if you're doing one of the trade in specials, such as trading a 003, etc.), or you can get HD10 by buying one of the licenses sold by people here on the forums or on Ebay.

So I'm assuming Digidub is doing one of those two options.

Digidub, in either case, an HD10 license will not affect your current PT9 license or Complete Toolkit license.

But, to be safe and avoid confusion or any possible glitches, you may want to move your existing PT9 and Complete Toolkit licenses to a separate Ilok before putting your HD10 license on your main Ilok.

Since you are getting HD10, you will no longer need your Complete Toolkit license, so you can sell that license to someone else (going price is between $700-900). You could also sell your existing PT9 license.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
That's not quite correct. There is no such thing as an "upgrade" to HD10.
Oh yes there is, assuming you have PT9HD license, you can upgrade it to PT10HD. That is exactly what I was assuming since you cannot upgrade/crossgrade from normal PT to HD as you correctly stated.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Correct, but it sounded like he has regular PT9 and the Complete Toolkit (which he would not have needed to have if he already had HD software).
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Yea, I'm considering going HD Native, but will take baby steps since I have a bunch of overlapping projects and I'm leery of automation and plugin issues moving from 9 (9 "le" with CPTK) to 10.

Was looking at one of those HD licenses on ebay, and was planning to have PT9 on one boot drive and PT10 on the other for now...

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM

If you get a new HD Native system, you will get a new HD 10 license with it.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM

If you buy the HD 10 license off eBay it will force you to surrender your PT 9 or 10 license but will give you PT 9 HD & PT 10 HD and also native licenses for both.
I did the eBay route and just moved my original PT 10 license to another ilok in case I want to sell upgrade the native license in the future.
But the short answer is yes, it will make you surrender the license that you currently have, you will still have a license for 9 but if you do the eBay route, technically it is 2 separate licenses because you are buying an actual HD 10 asset for your ilok, not upgrading.
Hope this helps.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Yes you can upgrade to HD10 without buying an HD hardware/software bundle....