Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM

Default How to auto snap recorded midi notes to the grid

Hi I would have sworn I saw a video or read something that said in Pro Tools 8 you can select a bunch of recorded midi notes and then set them to automatically snap to the closest lines in the grid. I can't find it on the new avid site though. I basicly want to get my live recorded midi notes to be right on the grid lines becuase when I live record them some are slightly off grid.

Is there a feature that does this? I checked the manual but am not sure what it would be called.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM

Default Re: How to auto snap recorded midi notes to the grid

Look up "Quantize" in the manual. There are several versions you can use, Input Quantize, Quantize, and two Real-Time Quantize options. There is an option to grid quantize too, called Groove Quantize, which is available in the Quantize windows.

Personally, I rarely want my MIDI performances to be quantized perfectly to the grid. Only machines can play something perfectly. Humans aren't perfect. Great musicians are close and have the ability to put feel (pushing and pulling) into a performance that machines can't (obviously). Many times I will just "quantize" by hand, meaning I go through my performance and when I hear a part I wish I had played better (not being a great musician), I fix it by hand, but rarely perfectly to the grid.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Awsome thanks, I found it. Yeah I know what you mean sometimes when I start aligning these perfectly to the grid I feel like they kind of get a unnatural sound to them because they are too perfect. I'll have to do some tests and see which I like better. Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM

When you read about Quantizing, you will see that there are many controls that let you Quantize, but not perfectly, for instance Strength which pulls the events closer to the grid, a setting of 100% moves it perfectly to the grid, where 50% would move it halfway between the events current position and the grid.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 06-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info, that's good to know I've been playing around with those options and they are helpful. Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Well that would depend on the instrument in play; if its a loop then it needs to be perfect; if its "live sounding" drums then maybe not but jus regular progrrammed drumming then yes it should be..

Piano, keyz strings, NO...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Well that would depend on the instrument in play; if its a loop then it needs to be perfect; if its "live sounding" drums then maybe not but just regular programmed drumming then yes it should be..

Piano, keyz strings, NO...
+1 ... I've been doing some electronic stuff with Reason in a genre where everyone uses loops. I play the passages (where I could use an arpeggiator, or automate a pattern) out on my keyboard because I can actually play that fast. No they're not perfectly even, and I've got my little phrasing idiosyncrasies but it sounds real and to me add life to the performance.

Also check out that score editor window.... convert your midi track to a printed music page!!!

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)