Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-28-2022, 07:18 AM

Default Protools Video Black screen while playback with no noticiable avid video engine error

Everything was working fine with videos imported into Protools 2022.7 (in windows) but out of nowhere, every video imported into a protools session can’t be seen while playback. It only shows a black screen in the video window inside protools.

I tried everything I could think of. Here is a list of what I’ve tried:

1) change protools version from 2021.7 to 2022.7
2) disable and re-enable avid video engine from playback engine option.
3) check a variety of video formats and codecs
4) double check that the session frame rate setup matches video framerate
5) change video drivers installed in windows
6) verify that video files does not have non-standard characters in their names
7) clean uninstall and reinstall protools

I have found someone that had the same problems but in MacOS and they solve it by deleting to folders. However, one of these folders doesn’t exist in windows.

Please need help with this. Thanks in advance

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Protools Video Black screen while playback with no noticiable avid video engine e

Zero system info……
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Old 11-14-2022, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Protools Video Black screen while playback with no noticiable avid video engine e

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Avid\AVX2_Plug-ins and empty the contents of this folder.
2. Go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Video Engine and empty the contents of this folder, but DO NOT delete the actual folder - or PT video engine will not start. (Avid FatalErrorReports will repopulate after you reboot pro tools)
3. Restart PT
4. Go to Preferences/Operation in PT and uncheck 'Enable GPU'

After much frustration this solved the issue for me - and I now believe that the 'black screen' issue has something to do with the 'Enable GPU setting' - which might be preventing video playback.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-14-2022, 09:12 AM

Hi there I hate to hijack the question, but what about the same folders for Mac that are supposed to be deleted? I am on an M1 Mac specifically. I have tried deleting those folders before and they repopulate and I have the same issue. Is it normal for those folders to repopulate in the same location on my computer? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2022, 11:07 AM

Hey there - to my knowledge, the 'Avid Video Engine' folder itself should repopulate automatically on Mac, but the only folder that should repopulate within that after clearing it is 'Avid FatalErrorReports'.

Is the 'AVX2_Plug-ins' repopulating too?

Have you tried disabling the 'Enable GPU' setting?
Old 11-15-2022, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRE3DOM View Post
1. Go to C:\Program Files\Avid\AVX2_Plug-ins and empty the contents of this folder.
2. Go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Video Engine and empty the contents of this folder, but DO NOT delete the actual folder - or PT video engine will not start. (Avid FatalErrorReports will repopulate after you reboot pro tools)
3. Restart PT

After much frustration this solved the issue for me - and I now believe that the 'black screen' issue has something to do with the 'Enable GPU setting' - which might be preventing video playback.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for your help. Here is an update to the problem and a possible solution.

It seems that this problem has something to do with AMD video card drivers. I have to install the recommended previous AMD Adrenaline Video driver, which is v. 22.5.1 (not the last one) in order to partially fix the problem.

Now I can import and see the videos but I cannot import the audio from the video because protools crashes. And when I import a video I have to close session and reopen it, otherwise the video produce playback errors and delay in the commands. I hope this helps.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2022, 09:25 PM

Not sure if this might help for Mac:

https://gearspace.com/board/post-pro...-playback.html
Old 11-28-2022, 10:02 PM

Hi, welcome to the community luisaudio.

Please be aware that whenn you use tapatalk as a newbie, your posts will go to manual approval until "good" post count is reached.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
3. Restart PT

Hope this helps!
Just chiming in on thread to +1 this solution for anyone who runs into it
Old 03-18-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Yes, this is the fix for me. Disable GPU. But why? Is this an AMD issue or PT? My system seems to function fine with GPU disabled but seems if there is an option to use the GPU, it should work, right?

Thanks,
jab
MSI home build
11th Gen Intel i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz
32g RAM, 6Tb SSD
AVID Dock w/Android 10" Tablet
IK Multimedia AXE I/O
Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB Audio Interface

Bakerplace.net A place for Audio/Video Post Production.