Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-19-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Engineer Mastering Question-VS- Home PC Speakers

Engineer Mastering Question-VS- Home PC Speakers.

I’m working with a very low budget and I would like some good advice on mastering with Home Theater Speakers with a small subwoofer or would I need a subwoofer to master with. Also is it possible to hook up a Home Theater system to my digi 002.
I was considering buying a complete Home Theater system.

What I’ve Tried At Home First.

I’ve tried to hook up my 3 way computer speakers to my digi 002, that work fine but only one thing with wrong. I only here the Left speaker and the subwoofer and not the Right speakers So I took a look in the back of my computer subwoofer and it only has a Left Front plug and the subwoofer is the blue control in. So there is no right channel. So I’m thinking does computer supply store make a converter for the 9 Pin to convert over to and audio RCA plug. So I think that I could here the Right & Left Subwoofer Speaker.

If so, could I master with my computer speaker? Or should I buy a Home Theater System for about $500.00 Bucks Or

Open for Options on the correct way to master with mastering speakers.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Engineer Mastering Question-VS- Home PC Speakers

buy a pair of studio monitors
there is no cheep way around it (cheep-er pairs but still never going to be cheep)
IF you must you can use 'theater' speakers, however especially if you buy a package you would have to pay alot more to get good 1s and they will never be acurate
Old 09-19-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Engineer Mastering Question-VS- Home PC Speakers

I happen to have a set of KRK V6's for sale, which would suite your needs quite nicely. No hard sell here, believe me. I just bought a set of V8's.
You don't want to mix on surround speakers.
You don't want to mix on computer speakers.

[email protected] if interested
Old 09-19-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Engineer Mastering Question-VS- Home PC Speake

Yep...You'll need good speakers, you just won't have the headroom req for PT on domestic speakers. They'll probably last about 1 month. Buy monitors...its worth it.
1 Gig PC2700 Corsair Memory
120 gig Ext USB 2.0
32+14 DaveC PT 6.9