Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 11-28-2022, 07:09 PM

Default MBOX Studio....First Impressions

Got it today, have not had a chance to spend much time with it, and will update in a few days.

But first, the build quality and feel of the controls is very good.The piece looks very classy on your desk, and so far, sounds very good.

Only trouble I have had is the button on the interface that calls up the software, works....has worked all day...until it doesn't. Just now used it, it launched the software, then the software vanished. After a few tries, I opened the app on the Mac directly from the App folder, no problem.

So far, two questions.

One, I cannot get the onboard FX to work at ALL. I have watched the AVID video on this over and over, I'm doing everything he does (with a guitar plugged in the front) but no joy. Dry.

And finally, I am trying to route audio from YouTube into PT, I clicked LOOPBACK in the software, chose ADAT 7-8 as an input to an audio channel, and nothing. Youtube audio plays without me doing anything, showing up on
on 1-2.But can't get the audio into a track.

Any help appreciated!
Old 11-29-2022, 08:14 AM
Avid

Default Re: MBOX Studio....First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Got it today, have not had a chance to spend much time with it, and will update in a few days.

But first, the build quality and feel of the controls is very good.The piece looks very classy on your desk, and so far, sounds very good.

Only trouble I have had is the button on the interface that calls up the software, works....has worked all day...until it doesn't. Just now used it, it launched the software, then the software vanished. After a few tries, I opened the app on the Mac directly from the App folder, no problem.

So far, two questions.

One, I cannot get the onboard FX to work at ALL. I have watched the AVID video on this over and over, I'm doing everything he does (with a guitar plugged in the front) but no joy. Dry.

And finally, I am trying to route audio from YouTube into PT, I clicked LOOPBACK in the software, chose ADAT 7-8 as an input to an audio channel, and nothing. Youtube audio plays without me doing anything, showing up on
on 1-2.But can't get the audio into a track.

Any help appreciated!
Hi Tom,

Let me see if I can help.

AVID FX: On the AVID FX tab (where all the faders are purple), are you turning up the AVID FX return (purple knob) on the output tile of the output you want to route the FX to? That would be the first thing I'd check.

Loopback: At the moment we only have Loopback from Internal 7/8 back to ADAT 7/8 (or ADAT 3/4 @ 96k). This means you need to route the signal you wish to "loopback" to Internal 7/8. Some apps allow you to choose this routing directly in the app. There seem to be more flexibility in this department on Win vs Mac. For other applications on Mac not allowing you to choose audio routing within the app you'll then need to define your main speaker output in the Apple Audio MIDI Setup app. You do this by clicking on the "configure speakers" button with the MBOX Studio selected in the audio devices page in AMS and then selecting "Internal 7/8" for Left and Right.

I'm not exactly sure what's happening with the app launch button. This will only open and close the MBOX Control app, not show/hide it. If you're trying to bring it to the front and it's already running in the background the app launch button will close it until you click it again, and then it will open it in the foreground. I wonder if this is what you're experiencing.

Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated!

Cheers,
JW
Old 11-29-2022, 09:26 AM

Thanks much!

Regarding FX, still not hearing any, nor seeing any knobs, just faders.. Pic is attached.

Loopback now working having gone to Audio Midi setup, thanks much!

Also, I think the button not bringing up the software, I think I was pressing twice in a row, which would make it launch, then quite. I need to slow down LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FX.jpg (58.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2022, 09:41 AM

Spoke too soon, loopback not working, or ...kind of working. Input to stereo PT audio track is maxed out in volume and only getting mono. I've checked AM Setup and it is configured for L& R . See attached screenshot.

Called AVID, no one available in tech support to help.

Created a case

Supposed to call me back.

Would be great if among upcoming videos they did one on "How to get Mac audio into your session.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LOOPBACK .jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2022, 10:56 AM

I don't have the MBOX Studio nor have I used one, but I have used Loopback on many different interfaces, and for the most part, they are pretty much the same with how you set it up.

So these videos may help you, just go to the Loopback chapter of either of the videos, it's all pretty much the same.

Audient iD44 MKII Audio Interface - EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW
https://youtu.be/RnUANft6IN8

Audient EVO 16 Audio Interface - EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW
https://youtu.be/9UD-Wq2Ly4A

Again, no need to watch the whole video. Everything is split up into chapters on YouTube in the description.

And JDubz70 is correct that Loopback is more flexible on Windows vs. Mac. There are certain things CoreAudio can't do (yet). But Avid has come up with Aux IO for PT on Mac as a different way to send audio from PT and into another app.

As far as what you are trying to do, send audio from YouTube into Pro Tools, that can easily be done with Loopback on both Windows and Mac.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-29-2022, 11:40 AM

Thanks, I used Loopback with UAD with zero problems, just went to audio midi setup, chose the interface and used whatever inputs they said to use for UAD, and in PT just chose that as the input to a stereo track.

No such luck with this. And still no callback from AVID. Very frustrating.

Thanks though for those links and your help.

I just want to get to work with this interface...
Old 11-29-2022, 12:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks much!

Regarding FX, still not hearing any, nor seeing any knobs, just faders.. Pic is attached.

Loopback now working having gone to Audio Midi setup, thanks much!

Also, I think the button not bringing up the software, I think I was pressing twice in a row, which would make it launch, then quite. I need to slow down LOL
Look all the way down at the bottom row of output tiles. There's a knob there that's labeled Ret -INF. Turn that up on the output you want to hear the AVID FX on and you should be in business.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
...Regarding FX, still not hearing any, nor seeing any knobs, just faders...
Looks like you are using Mic/Line/Inst 1, so with that selected in Hardware Input (top row of channels), click Avid FX on the left (instead of Channel Focus), then turn up the knob(s) at the top of the Hardware Output where you want the effects included, e.g. Headphone 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 12.07.48 PM.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
...Input to stereo PT audio track is maxed out in volume and only getting mono...
Clipping here as well with Youtube at its default volume - turn that almost all the way down to eliminate clipping. I also checked with a stereo test file and it is stereo into PT.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:20 PM

OK, FINALLY saw the tiny return knob, so thanks, now have FX.

I just need some help with this Loopback thing, I cannot get this going into PT. I'm not brilliant but I have used Loopback in the past with UAD, just can't get it going here.

Even though I assigned it in audio midi setup, it seems like YT playback shows up on the main internal channel 1 of channel 1-2 of DAW playback, and Internal 8. Just baffling.

No call back from AVID support still.