Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Zoom in follows playback head? preference?

Which scrolling option are you using?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:51 AM

I'm using "no scrolling" - I tried the others but they are not giving me the results I need, I'm sure I am just missing something, like moving the little orange .I. locator by grid value, I know how to move it by track and by region (L, apostrophe, semicolon, and P) cause it looks like this "bar" (sorry I don't know the name of it yet) is the anchor for zooming via "r" and "t".

oh I think I am just about to wrap my head around all this, this could get interesting

I think since I had "link timeline and edit selection" on, I came to think zooming via r/t relies on the start and the end of a loop.

anyways thanks for the hints, it's worth experimenting with them, as behaviour seems to change a lot with them - any tipps for fastest workflows when working with loops and doing lots of tiny-miny edits and working super tight (almost sample tight - I might run into the rounding issue at some point, so far it is no issue though, but I am fairly new to PT and am not using it in "pro" mode yet hehe..(pro mode mans using audio to derive triggers for analog and digital fx units and all these shenanigans, so far I did all that with cubase, but cubase on mac was not quite there for many years, and I just ended up owning all DAW softwares there after migrating from PC to Mac in the eternal search for the holy grail...

any essential shortcuts that I should memorize? the "arrow key tip" really is already a kind of game-changer for me with PT :) 👍
Old 04-09-2018, 05:02 AM

I'd suggest that you experiment with the available options, and find a workflow that you like. We're happy to help. It takes a while to use any DAW in "pro mode".

Regarding shortcuts - there are so many, and it all depends on how you like to work, and what you're after. Check out the docs. You can search when you're stuck.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resuah Knit View Post
bringing up this old thread, turns out I have the same problem, I work a lot in cycle playback mode, and it would be nice to have a way for the "r/t" keys to not just focus their zooming on the left locator. the only way to zoom to the right locator is to somehow shift scroll over to the right locator and press r/t again, but this only works when already zoomed-in so that the left cycle locator is not visible anymore, it's annoying.

link timeline and edit selection would make things easier for zooming, but it also changes the cycle locators to selection.

meh..nobody here working with lots of loops or nobody making loops? if so, how is your zooming routine? I'm coming from several other daws, so I might be spoiled a bit in terms of workflow speeds..
Brining up this old thread, I know exactly what you are talking about. Zoom priority is fixed to the time-line selection, and secondarily on the start of the edit selection. If there are no time or edit selections on the screen, zooming goes straight forward. There is no option to disable this zooming prioritization as far as I know, and this option would save my nerves. I am doing thousands of small edits on the podcasts, and I am doing it almost in real time. It really messes up the flow when the zoom pulls you back from what you are actually looking at. You can't have it all I guess. :) Cheers!