How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 12-13-2017, 05:47 AM
Avid

Default Soft Keys

Greetings,

I wanted to get a quick sampling of feedback from users regarding the Soft Keys that you regularly use on your S6. Automation? Windowing? Markers? What's a Soft Key?

:)

thanks in advance,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-13-2017, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Soft Keys

We just got the S6, but quick access to Automation and Layouts is definitely the most important to all of the mixers at our facility and I think for any post-production mixer in general. The shift+1 window set with some customization is pretty close to what we need to always see.

Also now the Suspend Expand Knob Zone and Fader Zone need to be readily available as we use these for dedicated EQ/Dynamics sections as well as spilling Cedar down to the faders for dialogue mixing.

The customizability and flexibility of soft keys/transport/wheel buttons is one of the best things about the S6 IMO. It would be nice if it were easier to move them around or copy/paste them from one slot to another.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:39 AM
Avid

Thanks Matt. SonicMonk offers an inexpensive drag and drop app that they are always tweaking to allow users to reorder soft key functions on the S6. They continue to develop and ingest feedback from users.

http://www.sonic-monk.com/euconlayouter/index.shtml

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 AM

😮
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

I wanted to get a quick sampling of feedback from users regarding the Soft Keys that you regularly use on your S6. Automation? Windowing? Markers? What's a Soft Key?

:)

thanks in advance,

Jeff
These are the ones I use most often (after a mere 2-3 months with my S6):
Session Setup
Sytem Usage
Automation 1: Read, Trim, Touch
Automation 4: Coalesce Trim
Session Mgmt 1: Groups

And then the Mem Loc hard key on the automation module and Clear (to save)

I've been procrastinating building custom soft key pages because I wasn't real confident in understanding how to do it on the S6, but it's something I know I've got to do. . . soon!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:46 AM
Avid

Thanks for the feedback. We are also exploring the idea of keeping the existing Soft Keys in place and adding layers similar to the idea with the SHIFT numeric QuickJump functions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksuj53uc7q...kJump.png?dl=0

So - for each quadrant - automation, session management, extras - additional related functions would be revealed in place upon holding one of the fader module modifier switches. This would keep the stability and muscle memory of existing functions intact and add additional functionality which can be revealed.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 AM

I'm using Edit 1, Session Management 2, and two custom panes with the things I use almost constantly.

I loved the idea of the QuickJump functionality that came with 3.6, but wish it had used a modifier other than shift. I'm very intentional with the numbering of memory locations and like to quickly select sections of my session by using shift and the numeric keypad (i.e. shift+[.2.]). I'm in the process of moving QuickJump to another modifier, but that's a bit of work. I'm thinking I'll have to get SonicMonk's editor to make that a bit easier.

I love the reveal idea. That could be really handy.

Pro Tools | HDX 2019.5
S6 M40 19.5
Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Mojave 10.14.5
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB RAM
Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 AM
Avid

Thanks for the feedback. The original intention of the QuickJump structure was for users to modify the 4 quadrants (Master Left, Master Right, Automation Left, Automation Right) for each numeric switch based on what makes sense for your workflow. They are pretty easy to tweak as you see in the attached image grab from the Master Module - you simply assign the PAGE jump function for each of the 4 soft key quadrants to a numeric section switch. The only real trick is to be holding down the particular modifier you want to use (I chose SHIFT by default since it is the first switch at the left edge of the fader module) while you are assigning the page functions. When you let go of the modifier (SHIFT) you will notice that function shown now represents the default KEY function for the QWERTY key on the numeric section. Here's the screen grab:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksuj53uc7q...kjump.png?dl=0

I'll admit I was thinking about users leveraging the dedicated Memory Location switches in combination with SHIFT to select ranges quickly, however you can easily re-structure your own QuickJump set to use a different modifier. Here's the current appset for Mac tweaked to use the CONTROL modifier instead of SHIFT which will work for your application. You can simply throw it on a memory stick, pop into the back of the MTM and press Load from the soft keys to use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaxg9vx88j...ol_37.xml?dl=0

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Thanks Matt. SonicMonk offers an inexpensive drag and drop app that they are always tweaking to allow users to reorder soft key functions on the S6. They continue to develop and ingest feedback from users.

http://www.sonic-monk.com/euconlayouter/index.shtml

best,

Jeff

Like the look of this.
Am going to give this a go.
Anyone else using this ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~

Last edited by priorytools; 12-19-2017 at 05:20 AM. Reason: addition . .