Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 PM

Default How To Hook Up My AVID HD I/O 16x16 Analog Interface?

Okay Guys So, I've Just Started My Music Career & I'm Currently Building My Recording Studio As Professional As Possible & The Only Interface I Wanna Invest In Is The AVID HD 16x16 Analog Interface But The Only Problem I'm Sticking & Worrying About Is How & Where Do I Connect This To, Whether A Mixer, Computer, Monitor Controller Or What? & What Cables Do I Use, Db25 To XLR Or What? & For The AES Where Do I Connect Those To? CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME OUT HERE?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:19 AM

Default Re: How To Hook Up My AVID HD I/O 16x16 Analog Interface?

Waves sound-grid DLI.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:42 AM

The HD IO is only one part of a bigger system. You need either an HDX card, HD Native card, HD Native Thunderbolt unit' or TDM card to hook it up to. You also need an HD license on your Ilok to make it all work together.

Alternatively, as mentioned, you can use a Waves DLI and regular Protools license.

You will also need mic preamps if you want to record anything.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The HD IO is only one part of a bigger system. You need either an HDX card, HD Native card, HD Native Thunderbolt unit' or TDM card to hook it up to. You also need an HD license on your Ilok to make it all work together.

Alternatively, as mentioned, you can use a Waves DLI and regular Protools license.

You will also need mic preamps if you want to record anything.
Along with some sort of monitoring system for playback.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 AM

Do you have a good pro audio dealer in your area? Putting together an HD system really isn't something you want to do on an Internet forum IMO.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM

I Was Thinking Just To Hook Up The HD I/O & HD NATIVE Thunderbolt But Also With The SPL Crimson, Will That Work?
& One Last Question, When I Connect The HD Native To The HD I/O Can I Use A DB25 TO XLR MALE & DB25 TO XLR FEMALE To Connect My Microphone Using The Analog Inputs & Outputs From The HD I/O As Seen On The Back?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 PM

Please type normally, with one big letter opening a sentence. Your text is very hard to read.

What you need in a complete HD system is three things: HDN thunderbolt box, HD interface, and HD license on an iLok key. Once you have these, the rest is easy.

Connect the HDN thunderbolt box to your computer, connect the HD interface to the HDN thunderbolt box, make sure that the iLok key is inserted into your computer (and have the licenses in it), and you're ready to install and run PT software.

What you want to do with your interface though, depends. If you have microphones, you need a preamp between the mic and the interface. All analog connections on HD interface are line-level. If you have synths just connect it straight into the interface. That is kind of audio engineering basics and a topic for another discussion.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Please type normally, with one big letter opening a sentence. Your text is very hard to read.

What you need in a complete HD system is three things: HDN thunderbolt box, HD interface, and HD license on an iLok key. Once you have these, the rest is easy.

Connect the HDN thunderbolt box to your computer, connect the HD interface to the HDN thunderbolt box, make sure that the iLok key is inserted into your computer (and have the licenses in it), and you're ready to install and run PT software.

What you want to do with your interface though, depends. If you have microphones, you need a preamp between the mic and the interface. All analog connections on HD interface are line-level. If you have synths just connect it straight into the interface. That is kind of audio engineering basics and a topic for another discussion.
All true^^^ with one small exception; the HD OMNI interface, which has some built-in preamps, and also has some monitor controller functions. Given the other limitations of the OMNI, I only recommend it for users with very simple IO needs(its limited to 8 in/out at a time).

On to the HD IO, there are 3 versions. 1 has only digital ins and outs(not a good choice for a new user). The "standard" version (aka 8x8x8) has 8 analog IO and 8 digital IO. You would connect up to 8 analog preamps via DB25 cable at line level(+4 or -10). Then you would connect a DB25 breakout cable for analog outputs and use(most likely) outputs 1&2 to feed a monitor controller(Presonus Central Station is what I use). The other 6 analog outputs could feed headphone amps. Then this version has 8 IO on digital connections. I use mine to connect an 8 channel mic preamp with a digital output(on lightpipe). The last version is the 16x16 analog, which is all analog ins and outs(again, at line level).

Its really easy to whip out a credit card and start buying gear, but there's a lot of knowledge/experience needed to get the right bits that work together. If you don't know all these little details, you really need to have a knowledgeable sales person working for you(and this may be tough to find outside of the USA or major metropolitan area).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-27-2016, 04:05 PM

Another option: 16x8x2 analog board and any version of PT you like running vanilla. You'll have 32 ins, 32 outs, 16 pres, 16 EQs, zero latency, and at least 24 returns for mixing purposes. All of this will be more cost efficient than a 16x16 HD and HDX...

Seriously, how much more do you want?

2017 Intel Mac Mini, 32G, PT 2023.12 Studio, Presonus Quantum 2626 and a bunch of stuff via ADAT
Old 05-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
Another option: 16x8x2 analog board and any version of PT you like running vanilla. You'll have 32 ins, 32 outs, 16 pres, 16 EQs, zero latency, and at least 24 returns for mixing purposes. All of this will be more cost efficient than a 16x16 HD and HDX...

Seriously, how much more do you want?
How does this solve the OP's issue? Reread what you wrote as what you describe has only 16 ins and outs, and no interface into the computer Being cost-efficient is only one part of any setup. I can be very cost efficient if I fire up my old PT10 system with an Mbox, but it won't do what my current HDN system will do(and I need done) I'm trying to help educate, not tell someone that they bought the wrong stuff

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave