Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 04:47 AM

Default Whole audio clips sometimes hang before clearing from timeline

I'm on Windows 10 and experiencing this in PT Studio 2022.10 and previous versions back to 2022.6.

After playing back a single clip (whole audio file) on the timeline, I'll go to clear the clip by selecting the clip & pressing the delete key.
Not every time but quite consistently the clip just hangs for a moment and nothing happens. (1 in 10 times)
The clip remains visible although actually deleted (no audio when trying to play back the hanging clip).
Then the clip partially disappears (usually the first half) before finally clearing.

When this happens I can still click on other functions without PT freezing.
I can select a new clip to drag onto the timeline as I'm trying to do.
As I click around or scroll, that's usually when the clip finally clears.

I've been able to repro on one mono or stereo audio track.
The clip is usually played back at a couple locations before it happens.
Just drag n drop a file to an audio track, press play & stop (space bar), start playback from another location then stop & select the clip. Clear it with either the delete key or right click/clear.
It takes repeating these steps for it to eventually happen.

In any event, this happens ONLY with whole audio clips (mono or stereo).
Once I perform any kind of edit like a split or fade to the whole audio file all other clip edits clear normally . Glad about that at least.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 12-11-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Whole audio clips sometimes hang before clearing from timeline

Update:

Still happening in new sessions.
Horizontal zoom seems to also be a factor.
Couldn't repro as readily when having a birds-eye view of the whole clip.

I don't have a screen shot of the problem because the hanging (half visible clip) disappears once I do anything else.
Sometimes the clip changes to a bracket shape (sideways "L") with a rectangle chunk taken out (invisible portion of clip).

This behavior only happens when doing the actions detailed in my original post. Edited clips still clear normally.
When it does happen it's momentary and I'm able to keep working.

Any other cases of a bracket shape clip graphic or whole clips not clearing immediately?

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 12-17-2022 at 09:13 PM.