Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-21-2021, 02:12 PM

Default Adat detection Problems With Carbon

Greetings to all. Does anyone know of any list of interfaces that we can connect to pro tools carbon through Adat?

I have my Scarlett 18i20 focusrite and an Apollo Twin. I've been trying to connect them through adat with the pro tools carbon but I don't get any signal inside pro tools. Is it because I can't use the scarlett and the twin as adat? or am I doing something wrong?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Adat detection Problems With Carbon

Hi welcome to DUC.

You are doing something wrong.

Not much info here. Trying to connect exactly how? to do exactly what? i.e. What cable/port is connected to exactly what.

The Apollo Twin has ADAT *input* only. What exactly are you trying to do with it?

The Focusrite and Apollo devices support ADAT or S/PDIF over TOSLINK... are you sure you have configured ADAT?

What sample rate? If you are trying to say do SMUX from the Focusrite as a ADAT preamp to the Carbon then you may consumer both TOSLINK input ports on the Carbon just doing that.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi welcome to DUC.

You are doing something wrong.

Not much info here. Trying to connect exactly how? to do exactly what? i.e. What cable/port is connected to exactly what.

The Apollo Twin has ADAT *input* only. What exactly are you trying to do with it?

The Focusrite and Apollo devices support ADAT or S/PDIF over TOSLINK... are you sure you have configured ADAT?

What sample rate? If you are trying to say do SMUX from the Focusrite as a ADAT preamp to the Carbon then you may consumer both TOSLINK input ports on the Carbon just doing that.
Thank you very much for the answer and help. What exactly I want to do is use the other 8 channels of the focusrite so that I have 16 channels to record. I already have 8 carbon outputs and I want to get another 8 from the focusrite to send an independent mix for each musician through my powerplay16.

thinking about whether you can take advantage of the two preamps of my apollo twin, it would not hurt to use them and thus have a total of 18 channels to record and 18 output channels.

record in 48,000 khz at 32 bit
Old 10-21-2021, 04:06 PM

I don't have any ADAT connected to Carbon and I am not familiar with Focusrite
BUT
You should be able to connect the Scarlett 18i20 by coming out of the Focusrite ADAT optical "outs" and into to the ADAT optical "ins" on the Carbon At 48 samples you can have 8 channels from the Focusrite

Are there any PT drivers you need to download to the Focusrite ?

Are the the ADAT channels checked in your I/O Input tab ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 PM

My thoughts on this:
1-Re the Apollo, how are you routing the audio from the analog inputs to the outside world(I don't think the inputs go thru without some software on the computer to route the audio)? On the surface, it would seem that the UA routing software could send the inputs to the outputs for connection(via analog) to line inputs of the Carbon.
2-Re the Focusrite, again, it most likely requires software(the Focusrite routing software) to assign the mic preamps to the ADAT output. In both cases, you may need to have both devices connected to your computer and with all the extra software running, it might hurt performance(if it works at all).
3-Using the correct tool for the job would seem to make more sense. In my mind, the correct tool(s) would be to use a pair of lightpipe preamps designed to do exactly what you want(actually, this would give you 24 inputs instead of 18). There are at least a dozen options and here are my suggestions: Budget option-Behringer ADA8200(dirt cheap but actually very decent preamps) for around $250. Better option-Focusrite OctoPre Mk II(or the new red version) for around $600. Excellent option-Midas XL-48 for around $900(absolutely killer on drums). Using dedicated lightpipe preamps will work great and avoid all the hassle of trying to make interfaces work in a fashion they were not designed for
4-in all cases, you will need to address clocking. I would probably daisy-chain the 3 devices with Wordclock cables(Carbon WC out to first preamp WC in, First preamp WC out to second preamp WC in. Leave clocking in Pro Tools set to internal and set the lightpipe preamps to use external clock source with both set to the same sample rate as your sessions(you mention 48K, which is also what I would use)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-21-2021, 04:13 PM

You can't "take advantage of" the preamps in the Apollo, well not via ADAT, since it only has ADAT input, it's not intended to be an ADAT preamp.

So you want to do ADAT input and output via the Focusrite. Get one thing at a time working and make sure the focusrite is set up to talk ADAT not S/PDIF

Since you are not using the Focusrite as a interface you have to set it up in stand-alone/mixer mode to tell it what signals to send/receive from the ADAT connections. All described very well in the documentation.

I would focus first on getting the Focusrite to run as an ADAT mic preamp, then worry about additional outputs for headphones.

And if still stuck... post a screenshot of the relevant IO pages in Pro Tools.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You can't "take advantage of" the preamps in the Apollo, well not via ADAT, since it only has ADAT input, it's not intended to be an ADAT preamp.

So you want to do ADAT input and output via the Focusrite. Get one thing at a time working and make sure the focusrite is set up to talk ADAT not S/PDIF

Since you are not using the Focusrite as a interface you have to set it up in stand-alone/mixer mode to tell it what signals to send/receive from the ADAT connections. All described very well in the documentation.

I would focus first on getting the Focusrite to run as an ADAT mic preamp, then worry about additional outputs for headphones.

And if still stuck... post a screenshot of the relevant IO pages in Pro Tools.

Well friends, after two days reviewing and testing various options for the adat to work with the focusrite, fortunately I was able to make them connect, I leave the guide link that helped me to do it, step by step.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-18i8-via-ADAT

Now with the apollo twin it is not possible then to use another 2 preamps through the ADAT? I know there are many more options to look for another 8, but come on, it's an apollo and I'd like to take advantage of those two preamps.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:36 PM

As has already been mentioned, the Apollo Twin has no ADAT out. You can’t connect it to the Carbon in that manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_sound View Post

Now with the apollo twin it is not possible then to use another 2 preamps through the ADAT? I know there are many more options to look for another 8, but come on, it's an apollo and I'd like to take advantage of those two preamps.
Given the Apollo has no ADAT or SPDIF out,,,, it would seem that the only possible way would be (IF) there is some electronic box,, that can convert a line level analog signal into an ADAT signal ???

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-23-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Given the Apollo has no ADAT or SPDIF out,,,, it would seem that the only possible way would be (IF) there is some electronic box,, that can convert a line level analog signal into an ADAT signal ???

Yeah. That’s called an AD converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk