Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Workaround for using Pro Tools tracks in Logic

I wonder if someone can suggest a workaround for a compatibility issue related to an artist I manage.

We recorded an album using a studio's Pro Tools setup in Japan and sent the data to be mixed in the UK. We weren't happy with the mix (from a pro studio), and now we have a friend handling it, with more promising results. However, he's using Logic, not Pro Tools, and so of course can't open the previous sessions - and this has led to a snag.

Unfortunately the audio files for some overdubs do not start at bar zero - they're simply loose snippets of audio. He's asked us to bounce these to stems that start from bar zero.

1. The obvious solution is to hire a studio and engineer to do this for us, but I'm guessing it's at least a day's work, and we're on a tight budget.

2. Another option I suppose would be to buy Pro Tools LE and do it ourselves, which might be a bit cheaper (can't seem to find anything but an upgrade for sale on DigiDesign's store). The downside of course is that I'm not an audio engineer - I can work basic audio software just fine, but I don't want to risk downgrading the audio with my lack of knowhow and plug-ins, and my bog-standard MacBook Pro.

Is option 2 realistic? Can LE even open session files made in the full Pro Tools suite? Or is there a workaround that I've missed? I'd be grateful to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Workaround for using Pro Tools tracks in Logic

Pro Tools LE can open Pro Tools HD files. Plug-ins that are HD will however not open. There might be trouble with too many tracks as well, but if you just want to bounce down the files it's no biggie.

But seriously, I can't imagine this would be a days work. Get someone to consolidate the tracks (so they all start at the first bar) and export them separately.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM

That's the ticket. Find a Pro Tools studio to open each session and consolidate/export wave or aiff files. If you provide them an external drive to dump everything to(could be the drive you have the sessions on) it should only take 15 minutes per song(add 20-30 minutes if there are midi tracks to print). I know lots of places that would do this for $25 per hour, so its really not a huge expense. You could also buy a used Mbox(I assume these files are 44.1 or 48K?) and install the software, do the deed and then re-sell and get most of your money back. If the files are 88.2 or 96K, it would take an Mbox 2 PRO, 002 or 003).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-09-2010, 05:07 AM

There is an function called "export all tracks as audio filies" under the file menu in logic. it takes only a minute.....read the manual how to do it!
hope this helps!

konstantino
Old 07-09-2010, 05:12 AM

oh sorry i thought the other way around!

then you should open the session in any LE enviroment, select all tracks from bar 1, consolidate, then export as audio files, pressing shift-command +K.

hope this helps!