Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2001, 12:36 AM

Default slow PT with fuse playback..

hi...
Just bought aurora's Fuse video capture/playback card.
Our system is d24+3 farms, 9600/350(loaded with memory), & an expansion chasis.
when working with quicktime movies, and while "movie online" is checked, the edit window slows down, & it takes about a second before a new edit point/selection is being shown on the screen. This only happens when the video is routed to the TV monitor & not to the actual small video window in PT, so it makes me think it got something to do with the fuse "spotting" ability, or finding the first frame. I've tried several HD's, several scsi chains, including atto express scsi excelerator.
I think it got something to do with the compression rate of the fuse. Can someone help?
Thanks, Nem.
Old 05-12-2001, 01:07 PM

Default Re: slow PT with fuse playback..

If the movie works playing in yoru PT session..but..has problems when switched to external monitor output..then my guess would be that it doesn't have anything to do with the compression..etc..because if it did..then you would have the same problem all the time..ie..on either monitor.

If it was your drive...location..it would also have this problem regardless of whether you were viewing on screen in PT..or out to external monitor.

The 2.0 drivers for the fuse are not digi approved..stick with the 1.84 drivers.

All outputs on the fuse are always active..all the time. So..normally..routing between..internal monitoring..and external..should not cause any ill effects.

The advantage of external monitoring..is..it takes the load off your computers graphics card to draw pixels on screen for the movie.

But..technically speaking..if yoru fuse movie works fine...except when you route the signal to external monitor only..I would look elses where besides the fuse codec for the problem.

The reason for this being..as I stated before..all outputs on the fuse card are always active whether you use them or not.

Try using the fuse control strip module..to send signals to both internal and external.
Then..just drag the onscreen movie window to the bottom of the screen until just the title bar shows. See if you get the same problem.

Try using the older 1.84 drivers.

As a last resort..try juggling the PCI slot order for the fuse. It is a bus mastering device.

In short..the "fuse card" takes any quicktime movie that is made with the aurora mjpeg codec..or Apple mjpeg codec..and it usese the cards hardware to accelerate the playback of the movie..taking the load for movie playback off your cpu. However..your graphics card..in your mac..still has to keep up with drawing the pixels for the movie..on screen. As long as your movie is made with the proper codec..and it plays back properly..otherwise..its hard to see that the fuse is your probelm in this area because..all of its outputs are always active..(ie..it sends signal to all outputs all the time anyway..whether you use them or not).

If your movie works..when using both internal AND external monitoring..but NOT when using external ONLY..then..the probelm is not the fuse card..but elsewhere.

Thats my guess anyway.

At least..this is how it worked in 1.84 drivers.

I would give the older driver a shot if you do not have it already.

Let me know..the results of a couple of things..
does it work fine running internal monitoring only?
Does it work fine running combo internal/external?
Is the problem ONLY when you choose external ONLY.?

dcornutt