Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-15-2001, 05:45 PM

Default recording drum patterns-audio or midi

ive tried recording drum patterns on my korg n1 both directly to audio and via midi. I dont know if im missing something but i cant get patterns to fall directly on beat. Ill record a 2 measure phrase and copy & paste and its all off timing. But if i do it via midi i can quantize and it falls nicely on beat. Any feelings on this? Also, i dont remember from last time i recorded midi drums, but i am able to record via midi on a midi track and then i can record to another track as audio, right? so in essence i can record midi track, then record it as audio to another track and disconnect my midi cables to continue audio recording, right?
Any ideas??? MAybe when i record audio i dont have grid or nudge value set correctly?
Old 08-15-2001, 06:13 PM

Default Re: recording drum patterns-audio or midi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by moodswing:
ive tried recording drum patterns on my korg n1 both directly to audio and via midi. I dont know if im missing something but i cant get patterns to fall directly on beat. Ill record a 2 measure phrase and copy & paste and its all off timing. But if i do it via midi i can quantize and it falls nicely on beat. Any feelings on this? Also, i dont remember from last time i recorded midi drums, but i am able to record via midi on a midi track and then i can record to another track as audio, right? so in essence i can record midi track, then record it as audio to another track and disconnect my midi cables to continue audio recording, right?
Any ideas??? MAybe when i record audio i dont have grid or nudge value set correctly?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I do. I have no idea if this is how anyone else does it. I use a separate software midi sequencer before I even create the ProTools session. I am making the transition from an old copy of MidiSoft Studio to Cakewalk Home Studio, but any
seqencer program will do, it's a matter of what features you find important. Even that isn't as important as it used to be because of the fierce competition, they all pretty much do the same thing. I prefer a sequencer that allows easy editing in music score view. I simply place the notes on the staff as though I was composing on paper. You probably are aware that each standard MIDI drum sound is assigned to a particular musical note. I use a separate track/staff for each piece of the kit. As soon as I have a complete pattern, I copy and paste it as needed and fill in the bridges. If all you needed was drums at this point, you would stop here and save the file in MIDI format (most of these sequencers in addition to standard MIDI, have their own native file format that is not MIDI). If you have other midi instruments like keyboards, you would want to add their tracks before you export the midi file for importing to PT. OK, now you have all of your accompaniment including the drums saved in .MID format. I then create my ProTools session and use "Import MIDI to track" feature. All the MIDI tracks are now in PT. Use the MIDI out port on the Digi001 to drive the drum machines, keyboards, etc. There are a variety of ways to deal with it from there. I have a dedicated PC with Gigasampler installed, so I create .WAV files for each of the MIDI tracks one at a time and then import them into PT, but most people would just use their drum machines and other midi devices in real time and use an analog mixer to mix them with the audio tracks (vocals, etc.) you create.
Hope I have been clear enough and haven't confused you.

Toney
Old 08-15-2001, 07:49 PM

Default Re: recording drum patterns-audio or midi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Toney Robinson:

This is what I do. I have no idea if this is how anyone else does it. I use a separate software midi sequencer before I even create the ProTools session. I am making the transition from an old copy of MidiSoft Studio to Cakewalk Home Studio, but any
seqencer program will do, it's a matter of what features you find important. Even that isn't as important as it used to be because of the fierce competition, they all pretty much do the same thing. I prefer a sequencer that allows easy editing in music score view. I simply place the notes on the staff as though I was composing on paper. You probably are aware that each standard MIDI drum sound is assigned to a particular musical note. I use a separate track/staff for each piece of the kit. As soon as I have a complete pattern, I copy and paste it as needed and fill in the bridges. If all you needed was drums at this point, you would stop here and save the file in MIDI format (most of these sequencers in addition to standard MIDI, have their own native file format that is not MIDI). If you have other midi instruments like keyboards, you would want to add their tracks before you export the midi file for importing to PT. OK, now you have all of your accompaniment including the drums saved in .MID format. I then create my ProTools session and use "Import MIDI to track" feature. All the MIDI tracks are now in PT. Use the MIDI out port on the Digi001 to drive the drum machines, keyboards, etc. There are a variety of ways to deal with it from there. I have a dedicated PC with Gigasampler installed, so I create .WAV files for each of the MIDI tracks one at a time and then import them into PT, but most people would just use their drum machines and other midi devices in real time and use an analog mixer to mix them with the audio tracks (vocals, etc.) you create.
Hope I have been clear enough and haven't confused you.

Toney
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ill chew on that for awhile. Makes sense. Thank you.