Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Corrupt HW buffer CPU Overload Spike

Since PT 12.8 I've had a new kind of bug related to the AAE 9173 cpu overload problem. This mostly happens with sessions that have high track counts and heavy plugin usage. A typical scenario is I'm playing back and the 9173 error happens, I click OK but than all the audio plays back very very distorted. Sometimes the 9173 error doesn't result in this but maybe 2 or 3 errors later it does. Until recently my remedy was quitting PT and restarting the program which does the trick. Since PT 2018 the problem is worse. Happens more often. Sometimes I don't even get the AAE 9173 error message, it just stops and then plays back distorted. Getting more frustrated and not wanting to deal with the 2 minute quitting and restarting loss of time I finally tried going to the playback engine and changing the HW buffer size. Bingo, the distortion is gone and I can continue. The fix has nothing to do with which buffer size I use, it's just changing it that does it. In fact if I change it from my preferred setting to another amount and back again within the Playback Engine dialogue the distortion is gone. This is interesting and maybe points more clearly to something someone out there may understand. The CPU overload issue is bad enough without having to deal with this. Ideas??

2016 MBP retina 13 (i7) 16gb ram, High Sierra
PT 2018.4
Apollo 8p interface
Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Corrupt HW buffer CPU Overload Spike

I've had this issue and have used the same fix for the last 2 years. Only happens in dense sessions with lots of tracks.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:38 PM

I have had this (distorted playback)on windows w/pt native intermittently. I think it might related to driver errors or network/usb/Vid I/O. It's been too random for me to pin it down but changing the buffer always fixes it. I read someone suggest it may be a clocking issue which since im using the host to clock it's possible. Don't know of any "fix" though
Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 PM

Well I figured it out...at least on my system! For some reason in the Playback Engine I had the "Ignore Errors During Playback/Record" box checked. I turned that off and haven't had the same problem for a couple days. Still plenty cpu overloads but no distortion.

This feels a bit silly for me because I hadn't had that checked before but sometime last fall I must've tried it and then forgotten.

I hope this helps someone out there!

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmu View Post
Well I figured it out...at least on my system! For some reason in the Playback Engine I had the "Ignore Errors During Playback/Record" box checked. I turned that off and haven't had the same problem for a couple days. Still plenty cpu overloads but no distortion.

This feels a bit silly for me because I hadn't had that checked before but sometime last fall I must've tried it and then forgotten.

I hope this helps someone out there!

Thanks for the responses.
Isn't there some sort of unwritten best practice about this setting? I can never remember what it is.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Isn't there some sort of unwritten best practice about this setting? I can never remember what it is.
It does say (may cause clicks and pops) under the option so I guess that is a warning but it doesn't suggest the severity of what we were experiencing. On page 92 of the Pro Tools Reference Guide it goes into more detail about when you should and when you shouldn't use it but once again it doesn't mention a total crap out of the audio engine. Hopefully one of the admins have seen this post and can address it in some way. I doubt I'll ever mess with it again!!