Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Default Newbie Question-How to increase the volume of recording

I'm new to protools so I just wanted to check before I made any changes if after doing a recording to raise the volume of it, you just go to the mix window and raise the fader to increase the volume level. When I recorded the track all levels were green and didn't go into the yellow. I read somewhere that if your levels are low you can raise them in the mix but if the signal is too hot your mix is screwed so that's one of the reasons I left them low. I know its a dumb question but unfortunately my level of protools knowledge is low at the moment...I did by the protools 101 book though so hopefully I won't have many more dumb questions
Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question-How to increase the volume of recording

I too am also a bit of a newbie but I think I can still manage to help. You can simply raise the Volume slider, but another option is to open the insert "Compressor/Limiter Dyn 3" under Dynamics and turn up the red Gain knob. This will also raise the volume of your track. Hope this helps! :)

PS: You're right not to go too high. Mid-yellow is a great place to be.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 AM

You dont want levels to clip (go red) but below this is "generally" fine.... keeping them very low (which i assume in your case) is kind of ok in that you wont get clipping or distortion.... however when you raise the level, you will also be raising the amount of noise (assuming you arent recording in a perfectly silent room?) so its nest to keep them at a high level but below clipping (in its simplest form)

If you want to raise a level and "not" use the fader, you can click on the waveform so its selected then click "audiosuite" on the top menu and select "gain" and increase it..... keep an eye on levels to make sure it isnt increasing too much.... ctrl+z to undo if you do
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Getting them into the yellow on the meter is hot enough. If something is really low, first of all, do you NEED to bring it up(no sense bringing up level on something that will get turned down when you mix). If I record a track too soft, I will usually just highlight the track, grab the AudioSuite GAIN plugin and boost it 4-5db. When you start adding plugins, most EQ and compressor plugins have an output level that works fine for boosting an entire track. The most important thing here is to record clean and quiet. Recording at 24 bit yields a lot more headroom than 16 bit so that is my usual setting(but you will need dither to burn audio CD's from 24 bit sessions). BTW, the AudioSuite GAIN plugin is handy for leveling out a performance. Say the singer was too soft on a word or phrase; rather than turn up the fader there, I will boost the region so it fits in the mix better(this has the benefit of keeping a more consistent amount of compression too-assuming you have a compressor plugin going).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM

just some background info.. the project I'm working on is a mixtape, so there's only 2 audio tracks. One that's coming from my serato system and the other is a vocal (small intro to the mixtape) I think I only need to raise the one that's coming from the serato. I'll try out the audio suite and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help