Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Default Pro Tools Still Deleting Files From Disc

So, I've documented these on several occasions now, and here is another one.

I have a trick for figuring out which file is going to give me the problem. Seems that by consolidating the track, if the consolidation process appears to not complete, that is the problem file. Buss/Recording to a new track solves the problem. The file will appear in the session and play back UNTIL you decide to close the session, which it will then disappear and tell you it's missing.

The error, as usual, makes absolute NO sense, and appears when you attempt to save a session copy in - THIS is your clue, as I've mentioned in the past.

http://www.siegfriedmeier.com/ptscre...ls%20Error.png

When you open the session after closing, you get this:

http://www.siegfriedmeier.com/ptscre...es%20Again.png

I'd like to believe that it's my hard drives, but seriously, how can 4 hard drives go bad simultaneously...

This is probably the worst error I've seen in Pro Tools, as it took me some time to figure out how to catch it. But it's getting tiring these days, so hopefully this can be corrected ASAP.

Thanks,
Sig
Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Still Deleting Files From Disc

Sig, have you submitted this as a support case?

Nevemind. I just checked the support site and you can't submit a support case anymore unless you buy an Avid Support Code. I guess they don't want to hear from us when we've turned up a real bug and we have supporting documentation / information that could shed light on the problem.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM

could report it on the ideascale site, in the bugs section

I thought I saw DTS say it's been observer and there working on it recently (like with in the last week)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM

I apologize if you have already does these, but I have not seen this problem before. New to the PT forums. I'm assuming that you have tried a re-install of PT, possibly OSX? What about Verify/Repair disk permissions in Disk Utility?

Again, sorry if you have already tried this, just trying to help a brother out.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 PM

I had something very similar happen recently also after consolidating. It happened on one session out about 14 that I'm working on and open and close many many times every day. I consolidated about 48 tracks within one session to create stems for importing to reels, and after closing the session and going into the reel to import the stems, the newly consolidated files had disappeared off the hard drive.

Restarted, went back, consolidated them again and they were fine, but was pretty weird and a little disconcerting, however since they were just consolidated files and not the originals re-consolidating them was easy, but also probably helped by the fact that I noticed the error pretty quickly.

I've also been having issues with the Mac OS (10.6.5) occasionally performing a 'move' instead of a 'copy' with files copied to and from external media, so I had just chalked it up to another strange mutation of that problem and not directly related to PT, but since it happened after consolidating maybe it was the same bug as what you've been seeing.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 AM

I'd definitely be backing up your data drives and reformatting them before copying the data back across. Delete the digi database folders before copying.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:49 PM

This is still happening...just lost all the drums in a song after consolidating/removing (I never do delete anymore, but it clearly doesn't matter). I tried my trick of buss recording the tracks to new tracks, but then Pro Tools crashed...and now it's all gone.

I'll have to go to a backup, but I'm getting really annoyed with this. Coupled with the fact that I cannot rename regions at times, I'd really like to know what's going on. I take good care of my systems and use diskwarrior/techtool/xupport and am really not interested in reformatting my system drive to repair this. If it's a Pro Tools problem, that's one thing. If the problem is with the Pro Tools install (which I've redone several times and still the same thing) that's another. Could the main system drive be faulty and cause this? My gut says no...

Driving me nuts. It happens at least once a week now to me.