Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Default Latency problem (couldn't find the fix on DUC)

I know LATENCY is among the most talked-about issue on this forum. I’ve spent days searching, but still have not found the solution to my problem described below. Any help would be appreciated!

The problem
Newly recorded audio regions are being written with a noticeable latency. Pro Tools is placing the newly recorded audio region in the right spot (i.e., the start point of the new audio region is exactly where I start recording or punched in). There is no latency effect while recording (I use low latency mode). However, during playback, the underlying audio of the newly recorded track is noticeably later than the other previously recorded tracks. This happens whether I record in low latency mode, when all plug-ins on all tracks (including master fader) are bypassed and/or listening through the 002R or C/24 headphone monitors while recording.

My system
- Pro Tools LE 6.4 (002 R)
- Mac PowerPC G4 (dual 1.42 Ghz processors; Mac OSX 10.3.8 Panther)
- Control 24 control surface
- Waves Diamond Bundle 5.0

Recording set up
- Always record in low latency mode
- Monitoring 8-10 pre-recorded tracks while recording
- No internal buses being used
- Using the C/24 Focusrite mic pre’s while recording
- Same latency effect happens regardless of use of outboard effects (e.g., 1176, Vipre pre)
- Same latency effect happens regardless of different H/W buffer size settings (mainly use 1024; 512 or less triggers an ~6086 error, even with all plug-ins bypassed)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dr. Fred
Old 01-31-2010, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Latency problem (couldn't find the fix on DUC)

sorry if this is a bit obvious - but you say that all plugins on all tracks are bypassed, have you tried inactivating them or removing them?

Does this happen if you just start a clean session and record one track?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 PM

Like oliarnalds said. The likely culprit is the plugins on the master fader. Bypassing plugins does not eliminate plugin delay, only making them inactive does. You're playing in time with the late audio and finding your tracks to be late when Pro Tools spots the audio to the right place after the recording pass.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 PM

Thx for the feedback guys. I didn't realize a bypassed plug-in can still create latency issues. I'll clear the plug-ins off the master fader tonight for a test drive. Now that I think of it, this latency issue started when I began recording from some templates I created with certain master fader plug-ins I've grown to like. When I first started using PT years ago (w few plug-ins) I never experienced the latency issues I have now.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fred View Post
Thx for the feedback guys. I didn't realize a bypassed plug-in can still create latency issues. I'll clear the plug-ins off the master fader tonight for a test drive. Now that I think of it, this latency issue started when I began recording from some templates I created with certain master fader plug-ins I've grown to like. When I first started using PT years ago (w few plug-ins) I never experienced the latency issues I have now.
Yeah it kinda sucks. Your best bet would be to save your settings on your plug ins as a favorite preset and write down what plugs you use and go from there after tracking. But what can we do right?
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Thank again, Top Jimmy and oliarnalds! It was plug-ins on the master fader (even when bypassed) causing the latency effect.

On to the next problem...

http://www.myspace.com/pitsband

PT LE 6.4; 002R (400 f/w; unit software ver 1); Control 24 (refurb)
Mac G4 (dual 1.42 Ghz processors; 2 Gb DDR RAM; OSX 10.3.8; storage: (1) 120 Gb internal HD for OSX and programs,
and (2) 160 Gb Western Digital ATA/100 internal HD for PT sessions, capturing audio, etc.)
Main plug-ins: Waves Diamond 5.0; Antares Auto-Tune 4 Ver 1.0; Drumagog (Pro)
Favorite gear: VIPRE preamp; two 1176's; Line 6 POD XT Pro

Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fred View Post
Thank again, Top Jimmy and oliarnalds! It was plug-ins on the master fader (even when bypassed) causing the latency effect.

On to the next problem...
You know, you can track with those plugins active if you want. You just have to add a manual compensation step to your workflow and life can move forward. Switch the mixer displays to view plugin delay. If the master fader has 2048 samples of delay on it, then shift the newly recorded track 2048 samples earlier and it will line up.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
You know, you can track with those plugins active if you want. You just have to add a manual compensation step to your workflow and life can move forward. Switch the mixer displays to view plugin delay. If the master fader has 2048 samples of delay on it, then shift the newly recorded track 2048 samples earlier and it will line up.
This doesn't work as it simply delays everything and would cause the player to hear the time offset. Making the master track plugins inactive is the way to go(personally, I never use plugins on the master as I want to make the mix sound right WITHOUT master plugins

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 PM

"Control-Apple" clicking a plugin will make it inactive but keep it's settings. You don't have to remove it.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This doesn't work as it simply delays everything and would cause the player to hear the time offset. Making the master track plugins inactive is the way to go(personally, I never use plugins on the master as I want to make the mix sound right WITHOUT master plugins
Ahh so, Albee-san. But you have foresaken Dr. Fred's original scenario. Audio he was recording and hearing in time was late when he played it back.

Remember that in low-latency mode, the audio inputs being recorded are routed back out at the interface for monitoring purposes before going through Pro Tools. Technically, this is why there can be no RTAS processing on a track being recorded.

So audio that gets recorded in time with what he hears through a master fader with plugins with delay will be late on playback and can be compensated for by shifting it earlier in time.

But I sure wouldn't want to work this way if I had to record a track with lots of punches.