Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Thumbs down PROBLEM RELINKING...please help...i need your expertise!

im running the m-audio profire2626 into protools m-powered 7.4cs3.

i recorded all the music to a song, then recorded the vocals on a later date. it opened fine for playback every time for a month until yesterday-when it decided it was missing all the vocal tracks!

i'll be honest i know its a no no to have more than one drive hooked up, but both drives are still mounted, and i still cannot automatically or manually relink. the disk allocation states that everything is the same except when i checked the backup files it says the vocals were sent to the other drive. i did not tell it to do this. does protools change disk allocation randomly?
everything was going great. this is very discouraging-like protools has a mind of its own sometimes. everytime i create a new track on a song from that i've previously worked on the allocation somehow hides the files...is there ANY way i can retrieve these? ive searched and searched both drives. PLEASE HELP!?! thank you.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 AM

Default Re: PROBLEM RELINKING...please help...i need your expertise!

HI,

this only happens if you turn on Round Robin Acclocation in the Drive Allocation setup - usually. PT then puts the files where it thinks it´s best for streaming .

and why it is a nono to have more than 1 drive in use?
I have at least 2 running at a constant basis.

best
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Considering round robin is turned off...Have you ever had a problem with the system allocating a different root media folder for a new track when you resume recording on a different day? Do you have any idea how i can get these back? anyone? I so appreciate all the advice.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

no, never had a problem like that.

I´d say see the troubleshooting stickies for advice.
starting by trashing PT and DAE prefs and databases. And try repairing disk permissions etc.
as it is likely that one of these files has been corrupted

also you can set only one HD to Record and the other to Transfer (play) only
in the workspace browser.
Another safety net for countering this behaviour.

BTW: what are your OTHER system specs?
you´re not running Snow Leopard, don´t you?

you can reimport your vocal files and hit "Save Session Copy" then all files will be in a new Session, in one folder.

best
Old 09-12-2009, 06:56 AM

Cool Re: PROBLEM RELINKING...please help...i need your expertise!

im running OS 10.4.11...its an intel mac mini.

i wish i could just reimport/relink the vocal files and "save copy in", but it can't even find them to relink and they are no where on these drives...ive even ran data recovery software.

i have an app- protools pref and database helper- i use everytime i get done with a session. it trashes all the prefs, volumes, dae, etc.

im really at a loss...as im thinking my computer just didnt want the vocals on it. and rerecording them will take people driving in from out of town.

if i change the disk allocation to tracks after they're recorded,say, to all the same new folder -what will that do? i mean, it probably won't find the files, but what will it do?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 AM

this is really annoying.

if yu change the root directory after recodinging files PT should find them still since their location info is safed with the session. New files will got to the new root hoever the old ones won´t be moved to the new root automatically

I know there was/is a bug that erases a recording completly if you hit the wrong key after recording.

Did you try to find you files with size dependend serach? like files over 10MB or somehting like that?

but that´s the end of my wisdom.

sorry
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 PM

Cool Re: PROBLEM RELINKING...please help...i need your expertise!

OK,. i think ive figured out on my system when opening up a session on a later date, starting a new audio track, go to disk allocation and if the 'change' box is checked-UNCHECK IT. this could've saved me about three days worth of redo's on the new record. i keep an eye on it every time now. its different for every session and i never changed [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] in disk allocation...sometimes its checked, sometimes its not...just keep an eye on it...if i can help one person whom ever has this problem, and keep you from losing some stuff that you worked hard on its worth it. -zg*