Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2001, 04:59 PM

Default pushing Pro Tools to kids

As A California State Teacher (day gig), I've had the satisfying experience of getting alot of young and energetic musicians onto the Pro Tools Free download, and they are totally digging it! I just got monies to buy a Digi 001 system for my classroom along with the other basics (about $6,000 so far). I'm about to embark upon teaching high school guitar students the ropes of life on a DAW and feel like a cross between and angel and a devil. I have very specific program objectives in mind, but I'd appreciate tips and suggestions from people with experience introducing neophytes to the Tools. As I reflect back on my own experience at the high school age in the early 80's writing and recording, it would have taken a tazer or fire to get me out of the house if I could bring "homework" and record on on my Pro Tools Free setup!
Old 03-06-2001, 07:02 PM

Default Re: pushing Pro Tools to kids

I don't teach, so I don't have any tips for you. I will say, though, that Digidesign has made an absolutely brilliant move by making PT free available. This is made-to-order for teaching situations. It'll be paying dividends to Digi in the form of a much larger user base for years to come. It's a great plan for the future.

Coda Finale is also doing something similar with a free, basic notation product.

Digi's competitors really need to react to this if they hope to survive.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-06-2001, 08:13 PM

John,
Check out the interactive tutorials for Pro Tools and other DAWs. A very cool interface for Pro Tools learning.
www.coolbreezesys.com

John Hughes
Pro Tools Engineer/Instructor
[email protected]
Old 03-06-2001, 08:13 PM

John,
Check out the interactive tutorials for Pro Tools and other DAWs. A very cool interface for Pro Tools learning.
www.coolbreezesys.com

John Hughes
[email protected]
Old 03-06-2001, 08:14 PM

John,
www.coolbreezesys.com

John Hughes
[email protected]
Old 03-07-2001, 10:13 AM

As a California State Teacher(night gig)I've had the opportunity to teach Pro Tools to radio/TV/film students ;^). Without knowing specifically what you're up to, here's what I do.

-back up & teach some mac basics..like where the command key is, navigating the 'name the session' prompt, and the mac filing hierarchy. If they don't file their projects properly, I can't grade them. I don't have the time to chase after 40 students each time they do a project.

-concepts of the 'shared environment'(don't mess with the computer, or other peoples projects w/out their permission).

Students tend to be pretty intuitive about computers & once I've showed them how to open & build a new session, I let them drive.

Having a video projector helps in instruction. If they're doing stuff @ home, a zip drive is cool so they can sneaker net projects to the school computer for grading.
Install virus protection.
Old 03-08-2001, 02:28 PM

HughesDigi,
I tried the link, but when the site opens, it's asking for a plugin and then it crashes Explorer..any idea what plugin?(everything needs a plugin these days)
eric
Old 03-08-2001, 07:04 PM

You will need shockwave and Quicktime to see the web site. There are several CD Roms for Pro Tools and include good flow chart diagrams, an extensive online media library, and screen capture style tutorial movies. Cool School Online will feature quizzes and tests over the fundamentals covered.
Cool Breeze is a development partner with Digi and the CD's can be purchased directly from their site or found at Sweetwater and other major Digi dealers.
Good Luck.

If you have any more questions you can email me directly at [email protected].

JH
Old 03-09-2001, 03:56 AM

I used to be a lab instructor at Full Sail. Its a good idea to give them a project to do in which they all essentially work on the same thing, unless they insist on bringing in their own materials (which is actually better if they got em). Teach them the basics of cutting up a song, encourage them to cut up and make "radio edis" of their CD's. Get a library full of sound effects they can import and see if they can make up a story using all the sounds creatively. I think these are the fastest ways to be introduced to the system.
Old 03-09-2001, 05:47 AM

And whatever you do, teach our children not to abuse compression on the 2 buss.