Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 05-29-2002, 06:47 AM

Default Pro Tools Free & APSLive or KX WDM Drivers

Was wondering how folks are making out using either the APSLive ow KX WDM drivers with PT Free. Also wondering if anyone is using the ASIO portion of the drivers and if so how they did it. Would also like to know what drivers are preferred, APSLive, KX WDM, or the stock SB drivers.

Thanks for your input! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Free & APSLive or KX WDM Drivers

I use the APSlive 1.84 driver for PTFree. It is for me the only solution using PTfree with SBlive (5.1 player) soundcard. With the original drivers of Creative Labs I had distorted, worbling/pitch-shifting sound and system freezes.
PTFree doesn´t support/use the ASIO driver, it only uses MME.
The APS gave me (really) a better performance/stability for my system (P III 866MHz/384MB RAM/SBlive 5.1 player/VIAchipset!!!).

I wanted to try out the kx drivers but I was even unable to install. ALways fatal errors (I followed the instructions as seen on the website -> "modified .dll´s" but no luck...).

So for me the APslive 1.84 is the best solution for PTFree/SB systems. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 08-23-2002, 08:40 AM

Clausii:

I've been reading about these APSLive drivers and am curious to know if they will work on my SBLive Value that came OEM with my Dell (Creative Serial CT4780). If they will lower my latency as much as some of the posted results I'll give anything a shot!

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated, along with any special instructions you may have based on your experience with the drivers. Thanks!!

Also, the link to the file at http://come.to/sblive seems to be dead...
Old 08-24-2002, 06:13 AM

This site is really dead. These drivers work(ed) on every SB Live. I searched the web for another download server, but no luck. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

But maybe the kx drivers work. Get them here.Read the FAQ. You have to download two dll files to run the driver. If you have VIA chipsets running on your motherboard read the bugfix.

I will try out those kx drivers this weekend, they didn´t work for me so far, because of the VIA-bug as written on the kx web site. But maybe this patch fixed my problem. The description of the error is similar to mine...

...we will see...
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 08-26-2002, 04:54 AM

Hi!

So it´s monday. This weekend I installed the kx drivers...
...and it was not easy...

On my system I was not able to install the drivers via the setup.exe, I don´t know why? But I´ve seen on the KX web page that this is a known problem on several machines.
So I installed them manualy through the hardware manager. No problem. Installation complete.

Restart->error message (this is a known problem)
Restart-> NO MESSAGE!

I opened PTFree AND...
..............it worked!!!! REALLY with a better performance than with the APS drivers.

BUUUUUUUUUT!!!! I tried to open the KX mixer window and........
.....error........
I was not able to open the Mixer window or any other window of the kx driver except the ASIO settings window.
It gave me for a standalone softwaresynth a 5ms latency!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!

But I want to have the mixer, we will see, I´ve posted my problem on the kx forum. Hoping for answers...

But I think my problem is my machine´s fault! I´ve never seen any other post I the kx forum with that problem I have. Hope for solution. The APS were great too, but I had some problems with them too (in PTFree sometimes no sound, only reloading the driver, or Clicking on Settings->Hardware->OK solved the problem).

Solutio report coming soon, when avaiable [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

clausiii
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 08-27-2002, 03:07 AM

The problem was my "tuned" OS (WinME). I deleted some system files the KX driver needs. The APS worked without them. So I setup my OS again.

my installation routine.
---WinME
---VIA 4in 1 driver
---VIA patch (FAQ http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/so...s/faqvl019.htm and download http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/so...tency_v019.zip )
---DirectX 8.1 (the driver needs 8.0 or higher!!!)
---graphic/video driver
---copying the two modified dll files to dir C:\Windows\System
---KX driver -> it may happen that you need to restart two times after installation, the first one is to reset the driver settings, the second is unknown (for me). After second restart there comes another message, but you can ignore it.

So, finally IT WORKS and this driver gives you the possibility to set the Hardware buffer size of PTFree down to 128 samples for a SBlive! If this is really useful? We will see if this works...

But the ASIO driver seems to be good work. 5ms!!!

So try it out http://www.kxproject.com

So, that´s all folks!

Clausiii [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 08-28-2002, 01:14 AM

Clausiii, can you get the buffer size down to 128 with no artifacts with those drivers? I was able to get it down to 2048. My system specs are about the same as yours but I have a SBLive! value card.

geetarbill
Old 08-28-2002, 02:06 AM

PTFree had no chance with the original SBlive/Creative drivers.

With the APS drivers PTFree could work ok, but sometimes I had no sound, I had to re-initialize the driver to hear something again.

With the KX drivers until now no sound interrupts. I can get down to 1024 samples H/W buffer size, with 8 tracks audio. But I have not tried some setting changes in the soundcard settings. The possibility to get down to 128 samples buffer size is maybe useful for better SB cards like the Audigy maybe...

But, really, who really needs a low, nearly zero latency in PTFree? This is only useful during overdubbing. But you can record your tracks even with 8192 samples when you send the signal you want to record not through PTFree to your monitor/headphones.
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 09-16-2002, 06:54 PM

Thanks Guys! It looks like the APS drivers were the easiest to load but a bit limited. But alas they are gone. If you really want them, let me know, I still have a copy of the last original set.

I also could not get the KX drivers to work on my system (although I can't say that I tried really hard), might give it another shot soon.

As for the question of would the APS drivers work on a SBLive value, I believe they would.

I do know for a fact that the SBLive OEM drivers just will not work with PTFree.

I recently stumbled across another set of drivers that the developers claim will work on any windows platform. The 45 Meg download killed it for me though.

Anybody else have good luck with the KX drivers? Let us know if you had the same problems with installation or the mixer and what you did to get around it.

Also about to check out a "SoundTank" RTA posted in another part of the DUC to see if it works with PTFree.

Thanks

The Driven

PS - No we're not affiliated with anyone involved with APS or KX. Just looking for solutions that seem to work!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:03 AM

The APS driver is avaiable for download again! Under http://come.to/sblive (Audio Production Studio).
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block