Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2002, 08:51 AM

Default burning to disc

ok...why does my music sound super compressed when i burn to cd? Sounds that were once clear, vocals, bass...sound muffled. I use Adaptech Easy CD Creator (has Direct CD in it ) and use 16 bit to burn..what other settings should i be looking at. I have a stock cd burner , i think teac that i got with my gateway. slow speed , could that be it...Also what is the best method of saving audio files and getting them off hard disk? Cd as data? Thanks
Old 02-09-2002, 09:44 AM

Default Re: burning to disc

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by moodswing:
ok...why does my music sound super compressed when i burn to cd? Sounds that were once clear, vocals, bass...sound muffled. I use Adaptech Easy CD Creator (has Direct CD in it ) and use 16 bit to burn..what other settings should i be looking at. I have a stock cd burner , i think teac that i got with my gateway. slow speed , could that be it...Also what is the best method of saving audio files and getting them off hard disk? Cd as data? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you BTD, the sound should be the same as when you hear playback during a session and you should hear the sound during the bounce. Does it sound OK when bouncing?

Use the "Save As..." command to save all the data and audio to a backup device.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Park Seward:

When you BTD, the sound should be the same as when you hear playback during a session and you should hear the sound during the bounce. Does it sound OK when bouncing?

Use the "Save As..." command to save all the data and audio to a backup device.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes it does sound good during bounce...thats the odd part. I do use wav format and i put in on best quality at 16 bit with stereo interleaved setting. Its kind of odd.... What backup device do you use to get audio off your hard drive?
Old 02-10-2002, 09:34 AM

How are you playing your CD after burning? Do you play it through the same amp and speakers you listen to the session through? How does the CD sound on different systems?

I can't think of any way the BTD or the burn can affect the sound that way.

I sometimes "Save As..." to a Firewire drive or to a CD-R is the session is small. I had a big session recently and put it on 15 CD-Rs. I just manually copied all the audio tracks on that one.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:13 AM

I'm new at this, but what are you mixing on?
I don't have monitors, so I use a pair of headphones, and I do notice a difference after I bounce.

Think I'll have to spring for some monitors...
Old 02-12-2002, 12:15 AM

I don't ever bounce to disk. I write to disc using a Tascam CD-RW700. You can burn from the mix or edit window if you have a stand alone unit like mine, and whatever sound you hear in there is EXACLTY what burns to CD. I picked mine up for about $800, but that was a year ago. think they are around $650 now. Tascam also makes a less-expensive writer based on the CD-RW700 as well. Here is the link to both:
http://www.tascam.com/products/cd_re...rw4u/index.php
http://www.tascam.com/products/cd_re...w700/index.php

Hope this helps! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Michael
Old 02-13-2002, 08:59 PM

THANKS GUYS...You helped alot.....