Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Default PT11HD on 2011 MacBook Pro

Hi All,

After searching the web high and low I can't seem to find a convincing answer to my question, which is…

Can I run PT11HD (software) on a MacBook Pro 2011?

I currently have PT10 and CPTK2. I did look at upgrading to PT10HD last year but I never got around to it. Now the only option available at the Avid shop is an upgrade to PT11HD.

Does anyone have any experience with PT11HD on a MBP 2011? I know the Avid website does not list it as a supported computer for use with PT11HD

Does any one have any ideas? I know there were some others on this forum looking for an answer but there was none forthcoming.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Re: PT11HD on 2011 MacBook Pro

Hi

I would not think there would be any issues as long as you have minimum 8GB RAM and a dedicated 7200rpm harddrive for recording to. No green or blue power saving drive and HAVE to be USB3 or Thunderbolt or FW. NO USB2 drive casings. If your computer is up to scratch I don't see any problems with it, also in the PT11HD upgrade you will get both 10 and 11 HD so you can have them both on the same harddrive.

If it is a core duo I would be causious but it might work for some. What interface are you going to use and what OSX version?

Best Regards and Welcome to the Community

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 AM

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. I have a 8gb Ram and dual internal SSD. I was planning to use an RME MADI-Face.

I would only be tracking with this machine. No serious editing or production.

Worth a try?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 AM

I run PT HD Native on an early 2011 MBP 17" with a Magma Thunderbolt chassis, no problems whatsoever. I have 8gb ram and an internal ssd drive for the system, use FW800 drives for audio. It's a great setup.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:05 AM

PT11.1.2HD working perfectly here on late 2013 top-of-the-line MBP (16GB memory, 1TB storage). Zero problems so far, using OSX 10.9.1
Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgltd View Post
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. I have a 8gb Ram and dual internal SSD. I was planning to use an RME MADI-Face.

I would only be tracking with this machine. No serious editing or production.

Worth a try?

Thanks.
Hey

Most definately worth a try

Looks good so All The Best of Luck to You

Let us know how you get on with the system

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-16-2014, 11:04 AM

I have just put together a PT 11 HDX 2 rig using a Magma Roben-3TS to use with my mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 16GB. It is so good that it's blowing a Mac Pro HDX system I'm using out of the water. SSDs everywhere. I was thinking of getting a new Mac Pro but this system is just incredible. I have Logic running with loads of instruments, driving Pro Tools via the IAC bus with audio connected via madi. I also have a Magma ExpressBox 3T connected to the other Thunderbolt port with an RME HDSPe MADI FX card. The HDX cards are connected to an SSL DeltaLink which is also working perfectly. I've done extensive tests with a massive Pro Tools file, loads of native plug-ins, Logic driving, and so far no signs of any problems whatsoever. Not one crash, even whilst doing my emails. It seems too good to be true, at least so far. My only worry is that if the MacBook Pro goes down I'm totally out of action, so I'm considering getting another MacBook Pro and cloning the current one as a backup. Or maybe a Mac Mini.......
Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... It seems too good to be true, at least so far. My only worry is that if the MacBook Pro goes down I'm totally out of action, so I'm considering getting another MacBook Pro and cloning the current one as a backup. Or maybe a Mac Mini.......
A cost effective solution might be to simply clone your boot drive and have it ready to go in the event that you need to buy a second MBP in a hurry.

I've heard that laptops are not as robust and durable as desktop computers, so it's probably a good idea.

System info: PT Ultimate 2019.6 HDX, Mac Pro 5,1 Westmere, OS 10.13.3, UAD2 Octo PCIe, 2x Lynx Aurora16 w LTHD cards, 1x Lynx Aurora(n) 32 ch analog I/O DigiLink, 4x Dangerous Convert-8 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Convert-2 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Vonvert AD+, Apogee Big Ben, SSD boot drive, external FW800 audio drives
Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgltd View Post
Hi All,

After searching the web high and low I can't seem to find a convincing answer to my question, which is…

Can I run PT11HD (software) on a MacBook Pro 2011?

I currently have PT10 and CPTK2. I did look at upgrading to PT10HD last year but I never got around to it. Now the only option available at the Avid shop is an upgrade to PT11HD.

Does anyone have any experience with PT11HD on a MBP 2011? I know the Avid website does not list it as a supported computer for use with PT11HD

Does any one have any ideas? I know there were some others on this forum looking for an answer but there was none forthcoming.

Thanks in advance!
Just installed it on my Early 2011 MacBookPro and it runs fine here. Have not run too many sessions as I just got it going, but seems all good with Protools HD Native. I had to upgrade the OS to Mavericks, os I made the plunge. All seems good here. I did run Alsoft Disk Warriorv.4.4, after the OSMavericks Install and found a few directory issues that were easily fixed. Ran that from the DVD G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 AM

thanks guys for all the replies and help! Will let you know how I get on.