Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Angry Re: PT8 CPU Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabben82 View Post
Ok I have a solution for all of you who have problem with this crazy graphic issue.
And the solution is called windows 7.
And I have a problem with what the Win 7 install did to my external drive that had ALL of my backed up stuff on it. It killed it. ALL of it. Luckily, I have most of the stuff on other drives. It's gonna be a real PITA to get it all back. Some of it's gone for good.

Should have known.

So, if you're going to try Win 7 I HIGHLY recommend you make sure your external drive is disconnected during the install. And oh yeah, after you're done and then connect your external drive, don't let Win 7 "fix drive errors" on it. It essentially wiped my external drive, formatting and all.

Don't know who I'm more pissed at. Digi, MS, or myself for even trying to get around the PT8 CPU issue.

It all turned out to be a total waste of time anyway. NRV 10 Firewire drivers couldn't install under Win 7 no matter what "compatability mode" I tried.

Last edited by Driven01; 05-14-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Default Re: PT8 CPU Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Pynn View Post
Yes it might be worth a shot to disable IE8..... Stranger things have happened... Good luck
So, I disabled IE8 (Win7 RC1 64-bit), but the same "alt-key bug" happens. So that doesn't seem to have made a difference. Oh well. But the sorta good news is that IE8 seems to not have any effect on PT in this OS.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:49 PM

I was reading this thread and think I may be having something related to this topic, which may be a bug to be worked out in PT8. I just built a new quad core pc with 4gb of ram and was loading up some of the sessions I was running before on my old machine and for the most part I see a huge improvement in CPU usage as I am using lots of plugins. However, I noticed one song I loaded up was using a ton of CPU which wasn't before! So I un-inserted on of the plugins and re-inserted it and my CPU load dropped from 30% down to 11%!!! In this case it was MOTU Symphonic (which has always acted weird) and it sounds like there are certain plugins that cause these types of issues.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 AM

Good news everyone! I got ALL of the stuff back on my external drive. Apparently, the Win 7 install only FUBAR'd the drive's index. XP's drive repair utility was able to fix it. I feel sooooo much better now. Went back to running PT 7.4 and will continue to do so until if, and when Digi comes up with a fix for 8.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven01 View Post
Went back to running PT 7.4 and will continue to do so until if, and when Digi comes up with a fix for 8.
Same here, but I'm not holding my breath. I purchased PT 8 back in December and haven't been able to use it since. It's pathetic how Digi hasn't addressed this issue yet. Going on SIX months without a fix.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 AM

I purchased 8.0 when it first came out and haven't used it since. I have an image of my OS drive with 8.0 on it and I bring it back to to keep XP and now 8.0cs2 up-to-date and then go right back to my image of 7.3.1cs7. When Digidesign fixes 8.0 and it's approved by the Gurus here, I'll try it again. The money hasn't been wasted afaic, since when 8.0 is "approved" I'll have it installed and ready to go.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Well after reading every last one of these posts here in on this subject, I do remember the good ol' days with 7.3 (I bought 7.4 in December to get the upgrade to 8). I could run a ton of plug ins on my system and not have hardly a problem with the H/W buffer errors. My machine doesn't freeze per se, and I'll have to go home tonight and see if there is a difference in minimizing my edit and mix windows as opposed to having them maximized. I don't know what my system's idle process percentage is in PT or in TM, but I suspect the usage must be high because there are sessions now that give me fits to playback in PT8 that were fine in 7.3. My machine is still useable (I'll try to get my specs tonight too), but I would definitely say that I notice a difference in the sluggishness!

DIGI anyword on this fix? And yes what kind of machines were your testers using that this problem wasn't caught in the first place? Have you forgotten about your customers? Because I still haven't seen a response to these latest questions.

For as long as this problem has existed with no fix in sight, and due to the fact that people have already paid their hard earned money on this product, what are you planning on doing to make this right? After half a year has gone by, and as many people have been impacted by this, (some of which who earn a living off of this) I'd say you've got a long road to travel before everyone is happy again...Even with the fix! In the meantime...how about for every quarter of the year that this problem is not resolved, customers get a free plug-in of their choice from the selection in your store? That's one way to calm people down. And one way to hurry those programmers up! Or how about serious discounts to upgrade our hardware? Or how about since 7.4 was so solid you just release an update and call it 7.5 and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of 8, just all the new plug-ins that come with it? And make sure if you make a 7.5 that it's free!

P.S. what does "bump" mean?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM

Okay so I found where I posted my system specs in the past...Since DIGI hasn't released any specs yet for their 'testers' computers, here are mine. Again PT8 works...well...chugs along okay with this setup:

I have done the 3 gig switch also.

Pro Tools 8.0 LE
Mbox2
Mainboard : Asus M2N32-SLI DELUXE
Chipset : nVidia nForce 590 SLI
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 FX 62 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (1000 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (165 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)

I hope this helps someone out. If/whenever this fix comes along I assume my machine should be screaming!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broman2999 View Post
P.S. what does "bump" mean?
it's when you post a new "blank" post in a thread to "bump" it back to the top of the thread list in hopes that more people will notice it there rather than buried on the Nth page. :)
Old 05-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broman2999 View Post
Okay so I found where I posted my system specs in the past...Since DIGI hasn't released any specs yet for their 'testers' computers, here are mine. Again PT8 works...well...chugs along okay with this setup:

I have done the 3 gig switch also.

Pro Tools 8.0 LE
Mbox2
Mainboard : Asus M2N32-SLI DELUXE
Chipset : nVidia nForce 590 SLI
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 FX 62 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (165 GB)

I hope this helps someone out. If/whenever this fix comes along I assume my machine should be screaming!
...So, Broman2999, what is the CPU Usage on your "machine" (in Windows Task Manager) with PT8 Edit and Mix windows opened or with those widows minimized?...

BTW, I installed Win 7 on two partitions and I am testing it with different configurations.
PT8 is more stable - in my first tests. CPU Usage is lower when idling, drops down much more when I minimize Edit window, than Mix window. I can still see big jumps in CPU Usage during playback, for no reason, but have not experienced any Buffer warnings, nor any crashes.
I have not tested yet any VSTi heavy session, though.

"Bump" means you have not gotten any response to your question and you repeat it requesting some reaction from lazy readers

Windows 7 looks great and behaves pretty well

Intel quad Q6600, ASUS P5K DeLuxe WiFi, Radeon HD Gfx cards, 3 LCD monitors, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP, Win 7x64, REAPER 64bit, Wavelab.