Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-04-2021, 03:40 PM

Default Setup midi output. Yamaha modx

Hello,
I have a MODX and trying to make proper usb midi connections to Pro Tools. I finally am getting a midi signal into Pro Tools but do not have a clue on how to setup midi preferences for the output. My main goal is to record the MODX in midi, and then commit it to wav track. Does anyone have an idea what the Pro Tool settings would be to hear the input in Pro tools. Much obliged for any help!
Dale
Old 04-04-2021, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Setup midi output. Yamaha modx

MIDI is the information about the note value (pitch, velocity, duration, MIDI channel, etc.). I does not have a sound in the MIDI information. In other words, no sound is actually being sent in the midi data stream. You can record the MIDI information into Protools and then have it trigger a Virtual Instrument (software sounds) from your computer. This how most people use MIDI in Protools.

On the other hand, you can have that MIDI information sent out to your MODX to trigger its sounds, but you'll need to connect the 1/4" output of the MODX back into an audio input on your computer or preferably an audio interface connected to your computer and record the audio as a wav file into Protools.
Think (MIDI in to computer, MIDI out to MODX, Audio in to computer)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 04-04-2021, 04:53 PM

Thanks for quick reply! At this point i have pulled up a bass sound on mdox and it recorded as midi in Pro tools. I am going to commit it into a wav track and see if it captured it. Just checked. It didn’t
I have been successful in using keyboard as midi controller for virtual instruments.
I also have a 1/4 inch output going into the focusrite, and no problem.
I just thought i could use a midi output to record tracks in my DAW.
Looks like that is not possible. I was hoping for a good clean signal from the modx into PRO Tools.
Thanks for your help!
Dale
Old 04-04-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkston Guy View Post
Thanks for quick reply! At this point i have pulled up a bass sound on mdox and it recorded as midi in Pro tools. I am going to commit it into a wav track and see if it captured it. Just checked. It didn’t
I have been successful in using keyboard as midi controller for virtual instruments.
I also have a 1/4 inch output going into the focusrite, and no problem.
I just thought i could use a midi output to record tracks in my DAW.
Looks like that is not possible. I was hoping for a good clean signal from the modx into PRO Tools.
Thanks for your help!
Dale
Again, you don't record any sounds from your MODX with MIDI. It only records the instructions from the MODX to play notes. You must assign a virtual instrument to the instrument track in Protools on the correct MIDI channel and then the virtual instrument sound (from your computer) will be triggered (not the same sound as on the MODX).

If you just want to record the sounds from your MODX (ie. the bass sound you selected), you don't use MIDI. You record the audio signal (not MIDI) from the audio outs of the MODX into your audio input on your computer.

If this doesn't make sense still, you need to read up on MIDI and what it is. It is not sound information. It is how to trigger an electronic instrument. There is a difference.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 04-04-2021, 10:30 PM

Another way to think about this is that MIDI is like remote control. Think about your TV remote. The remote does not send the video and sound to the TV. It only send the instructions to play a the video on a channel or adjust the volume. MIDI is like that. It allow one device to send instructions to another device. The actual sound must be produced at the receiving device, not the transmitting device.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 04-05-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Hello,
I have a MODX and trying to make proper usb midi connections to Pro Tools. I finally am getting a midi signal into Pro Tools but do not have a clue on how to setup midi preferences for the output. My main goal is to record the MODX in midi, and then commit it to wav track. Does anyone have an idea what the Pro Tool settings would be to hear the input in Pro tools. Much obliged for any help!
Dale
Have you looked at both the owner's manual and reference manual for the Modx? There's info in there on how to connect to a computer. As with some Yamaha synths the USB connection can contain both MIDI and audio. Further on some Yamaha synths you have to set up whether to use USB or 5 pin connections for MIDI (don't know if you can use both at the same time).

Something I find valuable when dealing with MIDI is to grab a free utility such as snoize (for Mac) or MIDI-OX (Windows). Run it in standalone mode and it will tell you what MIDI messages are coming through the connection. If you do see message then you know at least you have a valid MIDI connection to the computer.

QAPLA!
Old 04-05-2021, 10:32 AM

Yes, in the Modx manual, there is a routing page where it looks like you can reroute the signal path to audio via usb to computer. I have only found one youtube video on this subject but he is using Cubase. I need instructions for Pro Tools. There is a usb output on back of modx. So maybe i should just use midi connection for virtual instruments (as mentioned above) and try to get modx audio into Pro Tools via usb instead. Thanks for help.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, in the Modx manual, there is a routing page where it looks like you can reroute the signal path to audio via usb to computer. I have only found one youtube video on this subject but he is using Cubase. I need instructions for Pro Tools. There is a usb output on back of modx. So maybe i should just use midi connection for virtual instruments (as mentioned above) and try to get modx audio into Pro Tools via usb instead. Thanks for help.
The MODX USB connector can transmit/receive MIDI and audio. It acts like a USB audio interface so If you want to use it to transfer audio into pro tools then you need to set it as your audio interface within pro tools. If you’ve already got a decent audio interface then it’s probably best to use that and connect the 1/4” audio outs from the MODX into the interface and use the MODX USB interface for MIDI only.

Then set up an instrument track in pro tools that sends MIDI to the MODX. And receives audio inputs from the inputs on your audio interface the MODX is plugged into.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:48 PM

Yes, that sounds like a hassle going back between audio interfaces.
I think i will stick to the method suggested, using usb for virtual instruments and just using analog output into my focusrite.
Thanks for all the help!