Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2000, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Digi 001 Mic Pre\'s

DIGI, is their going to be a recall to fix the problem with the jacks on the front of the 001?
I think DIGI should either send us a interface w/ a pre-paid box to ship ours back after we receive a new one OR let us send ours in first & receive it back with any color face plate for free for the inconvienence on buying a screwed up unit.
my .02cent
Old 06-13-2000, 09:03 AM

Hold it right there folks...maybe shaggy was a little confused about those inputs in the rear.

I will test the rear 'balanced' inputs today. with these 'other' mic pres and the dominator (who's level was waaaaay too hot)

My really big gripe has been the input meters don't show clipping before the digital clipping. Nuke. I have 'worked' the levels. That's gripe number one!

Two: Why did DIGI neglect to include t/r/s or t/s options for every input/output (including the front panel xlr combo jack) so old dawgs like me can't make dumb mistakes?

Maybe Jonny has a bad jack on the front? Or perhaps one must use T/R/S (T/S would short the R/S) ???

When I first got my unit. I picked out a t/r/s to rca adapter not realizing it was not t/s and used that in one side of the monitor outputs. I had intermittant **** outs and lots of distortion. Wiggling the plug often caused the short to temporarily go away. Until I pulled it out. Very dissapointed with my 'new' box and discovered my blunder (in the spaghetti & poor lighting around here)

So what am I saying? My Joe Meek VC-1 switches transparently between t/r/s and t/s on ALL 1/4 inch inputs/outputs. Automatically switching from balanced to unbalanced. I use it all the time. And I guess having to pull out the 001 manual (I can't remember squat anymore) is too much trouble?

And I think my 'first impression' back in December as well as Jonny's problem may not have occurred (mr. product manager)...

Schom- peace brotha!

Old 06-13-2000, 01:38 PM

carloswarlick, I'm with you brother!

Here's the rub...I just BOUGHT the grey-faced faceplate.

ADD TO THAT the fact that said faceplate is currently out of stock...BUT I think they processed the transaction anyway!

Ouch.
Old 06-13-2000, 03:20 PM

I don't know what's up shaggy - I've got balanced unbalanced devices feeding the 1/4" jacks on the back inputs without problems. That includes some pro-gear at +4dbu balanced and consumer gear at -10dbu unbalanced.

Some are TRS and the unbalanced are TS plugs, so I don't know what's up with yours. Mine seems to work just fine.

The front panels have been fine too, I've plugged a drum machine into those from time to time, though I mostly use them with microphones. I have used both the pads and cranked the gain way down on a number of occasions, so I imagine you could over load them without trying too hard.

Only complaint is that they could use a touch more gain for use with low-output mics like RE-20's and Ribbons. Other than that, they seem kind of unremarkable which isn't a terrible thing for a mic pre.

I don't know if this solves your metering problem, but if I remember correctly, you can set the meter in the mix window for pre-fader metering.

Old 06-13-2000, 04:06 PM

nuke. As I've said before: "pardon my dawgness"...

...been monitoring prefader. Experience has shown me, today's wippersnappers couldn't design an analog circuit, to save their stock options.

Basically. That whole crew with Hammond Organ, back in the forties, left for radar development projects. 'Been in aerospace ever since. It left some pretty big shoes to fill.
Old 06-14-2000, 08:21 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by shaggy:
Experience has shown me, today's wippersnappers couldn't design an analog circuit, to save their stock options.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'll agree with you there. Them young fella's think all they need to do is write some verilog, make a pass in the simulator to see if it checks out, then tape out and send it to the fab.

The other weird thing is how difficult it is becoming to get linear parts suitable for lowly analog duties like amplifying audio. Everything is switching this and high-speed that, doesn't seem like there's much being made on silicon that can be turned into high-quality baseband audio equipment anymore.