Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Mbox 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
If they would just dedicate a cycle to fixing every bug I ever reported, they would make a lot of post users happy. Post users also seem to be their new target demographic. Coincidence?
Generally speaking if its solid enough for Post then the release is also good for us music guys. I realize that there's still some stuff to be fixed in PT11 and some plugs to be ported. But compared to the old code base I would have to say its fairly bug free at this point in its release cycle. Which is pretty impressive for new code and kudos to the beta testers who must have done a decent job of wringing it out.

Back on topic

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 AM

If they came out with a 004 with the same I/O as the 003, but the higher quality converters of the Mbox 3 Pro, it would be a resounding success, and would not impact the sales of HD Native and Omni at all.

HDN and Omni are not in any way a substitute for a 003/004. The I/O is not even remotely similar, and the package is way more expensive. And a 004 would not compete with it, because it's a completely different setup. People buy the Omni who need only a few inputs, but want super-high quality conversion. The same way they used to spend more money for the 2 ins/outs of a Rosetta 200 rather than the multiple ins/outs of cheaper interfaces. It's a different market.

The Omni is ideal for professional mixers, surround mixers (who also get the benefit of peripherals like the Sync HD and Video Satellite), and anyone who just records a few inputs at a time but wants the highest quality conversion. Plus they are getting the HD software with its extra features. These people will continue to pay the much more expensive price for these features, because it's a different market than those who would buy a 004 with a balance of very nice conversion and multiple I/O.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:32 PM

He is right - HDN too much mu-lah for me - but give me 8ins 10outs plus smux-able ADAT if I need it (I can rent a nice one to attach)

And onboard DSP - rock'em sock'em jock'em
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If they came out with a 004 with the same I/O as the 003, but the higher quality converters of the Mbox 3 Pro, it would be a resounding success, and would not impact the sales of HD Native and Omni at all.

HDN and Omni are not in any way a substitute for a 003/004. The I/O is not even remotely similar, and the package is way more expensive. And a 004 would not compete with it, because it's a completely different setup. People buy the Omni who need only a few inputs, but want super-high quality conversion. The same way they used to spend more money for the 2 ins/outs of a Rosetta 200 rather than the multiple ins/outs of cheaper interfaces. It's a different market.

The Omni is ideal for professional mixers, surround mixers (who also get the benefit of peripherals like the Sync HD and Video Satellite), and anyone who just records a few inputs at a time but wants the highest quality conversion. Plus they are getting the HD software with its extra features. These people will continue to pay the much more expensive price for these features, because it's a different market than those who would buy a 004 with a balance of very nice conversion and multiple I/O.

I agree with you but you would have to convince Avid that its worthwhile and not going to erode HD sales. I'm pretty sure the marketing guys on the upper floors feel that the HDN+Omni represents a "unprecedented value" in the market sector.

If we're going to make the MBox4 the new 003 could we at least make a optional set of rack ears for it so its not sitting on the desk like some type of wayward kitchen appliance?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I agree with you but you would have to convince Avid that its worthwhile and not going to erode HD sales. I'm pretty sure the marketing guys on the upper floors feel that the HDN+Omni represents a "unprecedented value" in the market sector.

If we're going to make the MBox4 the new 003 could we at least make a optional set of rack ears for it so its not sitting on the desk like some type of wayward kitchen appliance?
Since I was old-school even before they invented old-school, to me an appropriate product* is not really pro without a rack mounting option.

(*No, I don't think a U87 needs to be rack mountable to be pro, but stuff that could be reasonably rack mountable should offer the option.)

But I saw where somebody had called the MBox 3 Pro "the new 003 Rack" and I'm kinda wondering if that in fact will be its place in Avid's lineup.

And from your "wayward kitchen appliance" line I'm assuming you haven't seen pictures of the new Mac Pro...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

And from your "wayward kitchen appliance" line I'm assuming you haven't seen pictures of the new Mac Pro...
It's renamed iSore ya know

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 AM

I'm having some problems with this thread. The Mbox3Pro really needs to be replaced. It is full of problems not the least of which is the disabled DSP with firmware update. You can search the DUC to find all of the pain associated with incorrect audio taper parts, low mic gain, high line gain, etc., etc.

I just hope that if and when there is a replacement there will be at least a few field tests. All of the design errors would have been instantly recognized by anyone trying to use it in a studio and they would all have been very cheap and easy to fix.

On the other hand, I am surprised to see requests for better converters and preamps. I have owned both an Mbox3 & an Mbox3pro for years and I don't find either of them lacking in quality at all.....usability yes, but quality no. Have you seen the plots in this?

http://www.avid.com/static/resources...logy_Guide.pdf

Maybe these boxes aren't the very highest quality, but they certainly are very good.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM

Just to clarify, I'm not just referring to the original Mbox, I'm reffering to all versions of the Mbox (the regular Mbox, Mbox Pro, Mbox mini, R.I.P.)... So speculation regarding the Mbox 4 can regard all models.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM

Pinball it's the same as

structure upgrades (didn't develop fully)

Eleven rack - lack of commitment of future support

Artist Mix (didn't develop fully) bug fixes

Mbox3pro (didn't develop fully) usability

I think they have issues with hardware and problems fully developing the product

And the issue with that is the products above are great products - if when they work but there seems to be a hole in the bug fix usability departments
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Since I was old-school even before they invented old-school, to me an appropriate product* is not really pro without a rack mounting option.

(*No, I don't think a U87 needs to be rack mountable to be pro, but stuff that could be reasonably rack mountable should offer the option.)

But I saw where somebody had called the MBox 3 Pro "the new 003 Rack" and I'm kinda wondering if that in fact will be its place in Avid's lineup.

Well the MBox3 Pro is the top of the line non HD interface these days since the 003 and all it variants have been axed. If there's a mythical MBox4 Pro than some type of rack option would be nice. Like how about it pushes in and latches. And if you want to remove it you press a couple of latches and it pops out.

The Mac Pro is staying in the kitchen.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page