Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Default Mono Insert consumes stereo I/O

I'm pulling my hair out and hope that someone can help me figure this out. I just added a Manley Massive Passive to my rig and have set it up so it's normalled to my 192 #4's i/o 7 and 8. When I insert channel 7 (the left side of the MP) or channel 8 (right side of the MP) onto a audio track it works great as and insert and I'm happy as a clam. But if I leave that insert and create a new aux track with it's input and output corresponding to the unused MP channel for Q-Capture (Q-Clone) I get a message saying that "The output could not be made active because there is an active insert using one or more of the outputs". There is only one mono channel inserted in the session and I'm trying to route through a different one. Why is a mono insert claiming a stereo path? When I look at my i/o the inserts, inputs and outputs are set up as mono paths. If I disable the insert on the audio track the aux routing will work fine. What the heck! What am I missing here. These should be completely independent ins and outs right? Any thoughts?
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Mono Insert consumes stereo I/O

Its not that 1 is claiming both; its that 1 is claiming 1 & u need 2 for the stereo but of course there is 1 of those channels in use so its not gonna work because it can't get 2 channels...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 AM

thanks for the reply but no, your not understanding. I'm not trying to do anything in stereo. I'm working with a mono audio track and an mono insert and then a mono aux track with the same in and out which would commonly create a feedback loop but with Q capture inserted on that aux it doesn't. When I route an aux in and out through say ch. 8 in and ch. 8 out then ch. 7 comes up as a used insert if I try and put it on another mono audio track as a mono insert. Does that help clear up what I'm talking about?
Studio 301-703-0035

Last edited by acacia; 08-04-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 AM

The only other thing I can think of is that my i/o has become corrupted. I'm gonna try and make a new one now.
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Oh I see; I'm sorry I did misunderstand... Yeah I reset &|or make sure that u have actually created separate mono i/o for it as well & not just a stereo & banking on it to do the mono correctly...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM

So I just created a new session with the default stereo i/o and tried the same thing and got the same results. If I'm creating my 192 #4 inputs, outputs and inserts in stereo pairs but then assigning mono sub paths everything should see the sub paths right? Or does a tracks I/O and insert combined screw with the sub path concept? I want to have the option of inserting the Massive Passive as a stereo and mono eq as well as a Q capture tool on an aux channel. Thoughts? Avid ~ any input would be awesome. Thanks!
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM

I have seen this, too. Do any of your tracks in the session have that input or output assigned?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Nope. I've opened a new session with only a mono audio track and mono aux track. I then inserted Q Capture on the aux track. After inserting Q Capture I set the aux input and output to D8. At this point Q Capture works fine. But here comes the problem. I cant insert D7 on the audio track. I'm working with the stock Stereo I/O so it's not a corruption with my personal routing. I just talked with Waves and they are asking me to send them a session that they can test this with. Avid is this some sort of a ADC issue as it relates to paired i/o? What's going on?
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Make sure no tracks that are hidden or made inactive are using it up. Also make sure your Audition Path is not using it.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
mindexpansiontechnology.com
Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM

Hi,

In the i/o setup have you created 2 separate mono inputs and outputs and not just 1 stereo pair!! you can have both stereo and 2x mono which works for me!!

I have Massive passive and Q-capture and have no problems having 2 separate instantiations.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.