Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2001, 04:38 PM

Default HELP !!! crashes/unstable system G4/466, 5.1.1, DP !!!

Has anyone encounter these problems and have any suggestions to fix it ???

I'm running a PT 5.1.1 with a mac G4/466, OS 9.1...i'm basically running EVERYTHING as suggested by digi.
G4/466 OS 9.1, 356 Meg ram
Jeromino 2000 Mac ( latest driver )
Atto dual SCSI ( downgraded the firmwared to 1.4.4 as suggested by Digi )
Digital Performer 2.7.2.

The system only have this running and NOTHING else and i get a very unstable system...sometimes it crashes with DAE -9073 error, sometimes it freezes when transferring data from one HD to another ( i have 4 HD on the chain all initialize with Atto ProTools 2.3.2 as suggested by Digi ).
I REALLY think the problem is related to the SCSI Atto card because eveything seems A LOT more stable when i was running thisa whole thing with an non-approved Atto ULS3d single channel card.
Also anyone knows why my trtanfer rate on the Atto card is grayed out, i mean i'm suppose to be able to change that according to Digi. Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 08:14 AM
Avid

Default Re: HELP !!! crashes/unstable system G4/466, 5.1.1, DP !!!

I assume when you say "transfer rate", that you mean "sync rate" (as it is called in ATTO EPT).

-If you can't change the Sync Rate, then
A) There is a problem on the SCSI bus such as cabling termination or a bad drive.

B) The card is not functioning properly.

-Reseat all SCSI cables.

-Connect one drive at-a-time and see how things Pro Tools performs.

-You may try re-flashing the card with firmware v1.44: http://www.digidesign.com/download/ptutil.html

-If the above does not help, you may try updating to firmware v1.63 and see if there are any positive changes in performance.

Brent
Old 08-15-2001, 09:25 AM

if you are looking at the Buss info iwindow, the synch rate is greyed out. You change that i nthe Device info window.
9073's are scsi related... you are correct.
How did you reinitialize the drives with Express Pro Tools? Did you use the "Erase Disk" option first? are you r drives partitioned? (especially if they are bigger than 18 gig)
Check your Playback Buffer in DAE.... if you tap out the allocated memory in DAE this setting will revert to zero.. causing 9073's
Set it to 2

"i'm basically running EVERYTHING as suggested by digi." -
ummm... except Digital Performer. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2001, 07:43 PM

Thanks a lot Brent for the info,

After changing my SCSI card to the Atto single PCI-UL3S ( while waiting for the Dual Atto SCSI to be fixed ) things are a lot more stable but it still crashes once in a while ( especially when i'm accessing different chunks in DP ).
Anyone here , using DP and can maybe help me with this ...does anyone knows which version DP is the most stable with my set ups ?? Thanks
Old 08-16-2001, 07:41 PM

I finally sort out most of the bugs and i finally seem to have a reliable set up... beleive it or not but most of the problems are related to the Atto Pro-Tools software...i reformat all my drives and use the Apple driver provided with OS 9.1. change the Dual atto for a single UL3S with the latest firmware...so EVEYTHING that is NOT on the DIGI compatibility list seems to work...when i follow digi recommanded set up, it was a nightmare...go figure !!!