Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 PM

Default From Reason to PT

I have a song in reason that I want to mix in protools. What would be the best way to make an audio track in PT(containing Reason audio) for each track in the Reason mixer?

It is neccesary to make a aux track for every audio track Iam going to record in PT, and then bus the aux track to the audio track?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: From Reason to PT

Quote:
It is neccesary to make a aux track for every audio track Iam going to record in PT, and then bus the aux track to the audio track?
Only if you want to do it all at one time. You can do it with only one aux track, but you'll have to make a recording pass for each and every track you want to create.

You don't really need to create an audio track; you can mix everything in PT on aux tracks if your computer can handle it. If you're trying to reclaim CPU power by printing the audio, the best way is to bus individual aux tracks to individual audio tracks and record.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 PM

thanks, great help. Bun isnt kind of wierd? Why you need an aux track if you just want to recore directly in the audio track? I think in other softwares like cubace you can just record on the audio track. Anyway you answer was very helpfull
Old 03-23-2006, 08:15 PM

I did as SPKguitar told me and Iam just going to use aux tracks to mix, but Iam getting levels very low from Reason, and Reason mixer is not conected as Iam routing instuments directly to Reason audio out, so I can get seperate tracks for each reason instrument in PT.
How can I rise all levels then? I thought of just rising reason instruments volume but some instruments dont have a volume knob.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:03 PM

rodrigo21
Quote:
rising reason instruments volume but some instruments dont have a volume knob.
You could use a second AUX busses for volume control. Which Reason modules are you using?

filosofem

Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 PM

...or you could just add a compressor PLugin to either the AUX channel in PT or a compressor module to the instrument device in Reason.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:04 AM

Could you not just export each Reason instrument separately, then import them into Pro Tools on different tracks and mix them there? Rheotorical question, really. I do this often, but I'm not sure if this works for what the person wants
Old 04-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Set up your aux tracks and audio tracks, on each aux track insert the rewire plug, select the right input from reason, stereo/mono, all that good stuff. Then bus each aux to an audio track. Make sure your devices in reason have proper volumes set. They all should have volume controls, I can't think of one that doesn't. Watch that you're not clipping anything- it is very easy to do in Reason. If you need more juice, you can always push up the volume of the aux input a little. But really, you shouldn't have to be killing things, especially if you're at 24 bit. I have been mixing lower lately and it seem to be better, not hitting too close to 0. Anyway, with the buses, auxes, and audio tracks you need, set them up in an ampty session, then when you need to do this you can "import session data" and it will always be set up for you. Hopefully my explanation was clear, feel free to ask if it wasn't. Oh, and if you export in Reason then import the wavs into protools, all of the reason tracks will be stereo, so you'll need to do two parts at a time and pan hard left and right for mono tracks, then separate them in PT. The realtime transfer of all of the tracks at once is easier I think. Also, Reason stays locked to protools, so it's really easy to fix something if you need to.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 PM

That sounds like a professional advice mrufino, thanks

Now Iam thinking of what would be the best way to get the Send or Return tracks in PT session for mixing a Reason or Live song, considering that you want the send tracks to do exactly the same they do in Reason or in other software (Ableton Live this time). In other words I want the sendtrack/audiotrack relation to stay the same as in the slave software.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 PM

rodrigo21

In Reason flip the rack and route the outputs of the devices you are using and connect them into Reason's Interface. In Pro Tools insert Reason into a AUX and select the corresponding Interface channel with ReWire.

filosofem