Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Error when bouncing audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Are you saying you have only one hard drive (system drive), it’s a spinner, and that’s what you’re trying to record to? Bingo.
You can get away with recording to your system drive in most cases if it’s a SSD, but not a spinner. What’s the drive speed, 5400 or 7200 rpm? (Most of those laptops have 5400s, and that’s a big time show stopper.)
I’d highly recommend sourcing an external ssd that connects via usb, then make sure you disable all usb power management so it’s always ON.

Yes, it’s my 1TB HD on the system. Never had an issue bouncing before. Can I source a regular SATA drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Access violations are much more likely to be caused by plugin issues. You have to troubleshoot the problems, see standard troubleshooting steps under “help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page. Especially trying trashing prefs and moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder.

I’ll try that thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Good advice above. Here's more info too tuck away, just in case....
1-What are the session settings(such as 24 bit/44.1K)?
2-What are the bounce settings?(especially if different than the session settings)
3-Where are you bouncing to? By default, PT will send to a folder within the session folder(what you usually will want), but you can choose to send somewhere else(the desktop is good for troubleshooting)
4-If the session is 24 bit and you are bouncing to 16 bit(for burning to CD), are you using a Dither plugin(and where in the chain)?
5-how big is the session and are there lots of power-hungry plugins(virtual instruments, amp simulators or heavy mastering plugins like Ozone)? If you have amp sims and VI's, use the Track Commit feature so those plugins can be made inactive(making it easier on the computer)
1. Session set at 24/48k
2. I only have the option to "Bounce Mix" and cannot get past the error screen to even see my bounce settings.
3. I typically bounce to the designated session folder created by Pro Tools.
4. Session is not big at all. 8 tracks and about 3 plug ins per track. All stock plug ins.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:22 AM

dstjames1,

please refrain from posting via tapatalk for now. your account has too small post count so such posts go to manual approval (for now). or at least have patience to wait until some of us manually approve your posts.

no hard feelings, just a word of advise. this restriction will be lifted once you have enough published posts.

thank you.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:22 AM

Guys. What are you all doing?

This is a deep internal software problem. It's not likely caused by settings or user errors. Start with standard troubleshooting, especially plugins. Always suspect plugins. But you are going to run down the standard list, trash prefs, remove plugins, new empty session, create new admin account and test from there, etc. standard stuff. All this otherwise is wasting time. For problems like this posting here asking for help is just wasting your own time until you've done that standard troubleshooting. If still stuck then come back with details of what you have done and what happened, and would be nice to have a full Sandra report then (I don't like any computer with unmatched memory like 12 GB, but that's not going to be an issue here).

And Sandra should let you copy stuff... not that it's needed here yet. But for future, look at other Sandra reports on DUC and copy and paste the same content they have there.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
dstjames1,

please refrain from posting via tapatalk for now. your account has too small post count so such posts go to manual approval (for now). or at least have patience to wait until some of us manually approve your posts.

no hard feelings, just a word of advise. this restriction will be lifted once you have enough published posts.

thank you.
Oh ok no problem. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Guys. What are you all doing?

This is a deep internal software problem. It's not likely caused by settings or user errors. Start with standard troubleshooting, especially plugins. Always suspect plugins. But you are going to run down the standard list, trash pregs, remove plugins, new empty session, create new admin account and test from there, etc. standard stuff. All this otherwise is wasting time.

And Sandra should let you copy stuff... not that it's needed here yet. But for future, look at other Sandra reports on DUC and copy and paste the same content they have there.
I'm thinking the same thing Darryl. I had absolutely no problem until this specific session.

What are pregs? Should I just uninstall and reinstall pro tools?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:30 AM

prefs = preferences
Old 01-07-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstjames1 View Post
I'm thinking the same thing Darryl. I had absolutely no problem until this specific session.

What are pregs? Should I just uninstall and reinstall pro tools?
Sorry that was my typo and you saw it before I corrected it.

"prefs" are Pro Tools Preferences, all the internal settings saved by Pro Tools, which even on Windows is largely using Mac compatible ways (hence the preferences name) of saving stuff. And on Mac or Windows these can get corrupted. So while it's less likely here to be causing this specific issue we always want to start any troubleshooting by trashing prefs. That will remove some user settings you may have made but not affect your sessions... directions to trash prefs are in the troubleshooting section I pointed at before.... be careful to follow directions for your version of Pro Tools and OS since the files and locations change, or even better I recommend you purchase the Trasher app http://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm

If this is only affecting one session then you might expect the session is corrupt. In that case... try save copy in and then test the new copy.

If that does not help then do all the std stuff, but plugins are super important... they get loaded into the Pro Tools address space and have few protections to stop them messing with stuff, the to cause lots of problems like this, literally this is likely a plugin trying to access memory location: 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, or giving garbage to pro Tools so that it tries to access
location 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (a clearly invalid address). When you move all the .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder and start Pro Tools it will automagically put back the basic default ones (but the'll be exactly compaibl with the version of Pro Tools), just run Pro Tools then with those basic plugins, none other, so your session may be missing plugins etc. just try to bounce that and see if it works at all

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-07-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:52 AM

And when I see "unable to read location: 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" it's cause for a chuckle and deep sigh. This is likely caused by sloppy programming, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF is the 2's complement way of storing -1. So maybe a reasonable guess something is returning -1 as an error and instead of checking for the error Pro Tools or a plugin is trying to use that error code as a valid memory address. The sort of thing that should ideally be caught by tools and/or code reviews.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-07-2022 at 10:35 AM.