Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Default 12.8 Workspace & Waveforms

Ongoing bug, still not fixed in 12.8 apparently.

Workspace windows stop responding to "Calculate Waveforms." The task is selected, Task Manager Window shows progress bar... but no waveforms appear in the workspace window. This occurs even in folders where I have previously calculated and had waveforms visible, but they are now failing to show.

This seems to get consistently worse as I get further into any project. Initially things are fine, a week or two in they start to go wonky, and by a month later I can't get any waveforms at all.

Anyone found a solution to this? Makes the workspace pretty much unusable after a while. I've been dealing with this for years, not sure when it exactly started. I have 2 PTHD rigs (currently both with 12.8), both have this problem.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Default Re: 12.8 Workspace & Waveforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Ongoing bug, still not fixed in 12.8 apparently.

Workspace windows stop responding to "Calculate Waveforms." The task is selected, Task Manager Window shows progress bar... but no waveforms appear in the workspace window. This occurs even in folders where I have previously calculated and had waveforms visible, but they are now failing to show.

This seems to get consistently worse as I get further into any project. Initially things are fine, a week or two in they start to go wonky, and by a month later I can't get any waveforms at all.

Anyone found a solution to this? Makes the workspace pretty much unusable after a while. I've been dealing with this for years, not sure when it exactly started. I have 2 PTHD rigs (currently both with 12.8), both have this problem.
Non-HD .. just tried it here on a bunch of files .. as long as i highlight the files that i need to Calculate Waveforms it works fine ... or as soon as i click on a File it creates the Waveform if it is empty before i click on it ..

are you on Mac or PC ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Default Re: 12.8 Workspace & Waveforms

Both my rigs are Mac, 10.12.6, just slightly different hardware. They mirror each other with drives and software though. I take an iLok back and forth depending on where I'm working so I basically have it set up so that they behave almost identically.

I just got back to my studio rig which is a 2013 trash can and it's behaving better than my work rig which is a 2010 upgraded cheese grater. I posted earlier from work on the cheese grater which had just stopped making waveforms all together today. I've seen this behavior before though, and stretching back a while, but could be wrong that the trash can has seen it recently.

If it could somehow be related to graphics card then that's probably the culprit. The cheese grater needs an upgrade in that department.