Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Delay Compensation and Recording

I'm using PT8 HD3, and am recording a V-Drum track on a session that has a significant number of plug-ins.

With delay compensation on, the V-Drum audio is greatly delayed when I'm playing, to the extent that it's impossible to record this way. If I turn off delay compensation, the V-Drum has virtually no delay, but many of my other, plug-in laden, tracks exhibit delay, again making it difficult to record the drum track accurately.

What do most of you do in a similar situation? Mute most of the plug-in heavy tracks until delay compensation is turned back on? Or de-activate the worst plug-in offenders while delay compensation is off? Or perhaps there's a better way that I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may respond.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation and Recording

I turn Delay Compensation OFF, and just deactivate RTAS Plugins, (Not Bypass / Command+Control+Click) and make the Master Fader inactive when Recording,

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Thanks - why make the Master Fader inactive? Also, is there any shortcut to deactivate ALL plug-ins (or even just RTAS) at once? It would be very useful in this kind of situation...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM

well if there are any RTAS plugins on the Master Fader, it will introduce Latency, for me, it's just a "Habit" when recording to make the Master Fader inactive, incase there is any Fade automation, or RTAS inserts - it's just a "Click" to make inactive - so I always "Just do it" if I recording.

there are a few shortcuts, if you want to disable "All plugins within "Selected tracks" - this will deactivate TDM AND RTAS though, there is no way to "Just deactivate all RTAS plugins, leaving TDM ones active"

if you select the "Top track" in your selection, hold Shift down, and select the "Bottom track in your selection" - effectively "Highlighting all of the tracks you want to deactivate plugins on"

then hold Shift+Control+Option+Command while clicking a plugin - you will deactivate ALL plugins on the "Selected tracks for that insert"

i.e ... if you do this to a plugin on Insert A - ALL insert A plugins, within your "Highlighted tracks" will become inactive.

Holding Shift+Control+Option+Command, and quickly clicking a,b,c,d ect - will disable all of the plugins in your selected, or Highlighted tracks.

You can also make your "Track Selection" more elaborate, by holding Command, while selecting, to include, or remove from your "Selected tracks"

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM

For me, it's rare that I can just deactivate all RTAS plugins and not have the working mix completely fall apart, so I usually bounce a quick mix (or a few stems), save the session with a new name, deactivate (or remove) all tracks except the mix and the new tracks. Once I'm done the overdubs, I just re-open the old session and import the new tracks. Not exactly elegant workaround but it works....
Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 PM

I also do what Zak does except I stay within the same session, i.e. perform a mixdown, add the mixdown audio, deactivate all tracks that have been mixed down, add new audio tracks for recording, start recording...

Hassan
Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by erant1 View Post
Thanks - why make the Master Fader inactive? Also, is there any shortcut to deactivate ALL plug-ins (or even just RTAS) at once? It would be very useful in this kind of situation...
I wanted to point out that plug-ins on the Master Fader are not compensated for and, if you have some on the MF that have a lot of latency, it's usually what creates issues when trying to record with ADC enabled.

Is this possibly the case here? If so, you can either disable them or what I sometimes will do is put them on an Aux and re-bus all the outputs of my tracks to the Aux, which will be compensated for.

Are any of your induced delays outside of ADC limits?

The other post about bouncing the mix and recording to that is an excellent suggestion.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM

All of the suggestions in this thread are very helpful.

To answer Digi:
- There are some plugs in the Master Fader, and I didn't realize that they are not delay compensated. That certainly makes a difference.
- Putting the plugs on an Aux track and bussing to that track is a good work-around
- I have checked the ADC limits (ADC set to Long) and that wasn't the issue
- I also agree that the bounce suggestion is a good one, but I believe that making the plugs on the MF inactive is the easiest option

Thank you all again for your excellent suggestions.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 AM

For the record, I spent all day yesterday, recording with delay compensation ON - in sessions with various RTAS and TDM plugins on all OTHER tracks, and Aux's - with NOTHING on the Master Fader, and had no problems.

This might be an "old habit" (Turning delay compensation off) to keep things simple, in front of clients, but now that I've got an HD system at home, I can easily experiment with some of this stuff.

I cut acoustics, on 5 songs yesterday, with Delay compensation ON the whole time, everything worked well, "Landed" where it was supposed to, and operated, monitoring latency free.

I THINK if you keep your Master Fader free of RTAS plugins, or even Inactive while recording, you'll be ok With Delay compensation left on. in PT8?

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
For the record, I spent all day yesterday, recording with delay compensation ON - in sessions with various RTAS and TDM plugins on all OTHER tracks, and Aux's - with NOTHING on the Master Fader, and had no problems.

This might be an "old habit" (Turning delay compensation off) to keep things simple, in front of clients, but now that I've got an HD system at home, I can easily experiment with some of this stuff.

I cut acoustics, on 5 songs yesterday, with Delay compensation ON the whole time, everything worked well, "Landed" where it was supposed to, and operated, monitoring latency free.

I THINK if you keep your Master Fader free of RTAS plugins, or even Inactive while recording, you'll be ok With Delay compensation left on. in PT8?
I do the same all of the time except that I don't even de-activate the master fader. I always have the Massey L2007 on it in order to be able to overdub onto a track that already sounds somewhat like the eventual mix is going to sound. Just did it, for two months worth of tracking and overdubs, on an album project and not one problem arose that would have called for the method to have been changed.