Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Anyone Else Red/Green Colorblind?

I have the most common type of color blindness, which is a deficiency in seeing red and green. I can still see them if they're very bold, but not if they're in certain shades and hues or on certain backgrounds.

PT 8 is very helpful in providing the ability to make significant alterations to the colors of the interface, and thanks Digi for perhaps this unintended benefit to the color blind engineers of the world.

One problem, though, is that the record buttons, which I "know" turn red upon arming, are no longer as easy to see as they were in prior versions. I asked my wife to take a look (she's not color blind), and she said that it was due to the lack of contrast between the record buttons and the background on which they sit.

Digi, is there any way in the next update to provide an option to change either the color of the record buttons, or provide some other means of better highlighting them when armed? I'm fairly certain that the current issue will pose difficulty for many other people as well.

Thanks in advance, and BTW, I agree that PT8 is just terrific!
Old 12-31-2008, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Anyone Else Red/Green Colorblind?

Hi

As you can read in another thread there are many people that have problems with the new look of the interface.

50 percent love it and 50 percent have problems (me included)

But my opinion is that digi must give the userinterface an update.

Ale

Take a look here
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=234140

By the way:
Color alteration were also possible in 7.4 but this was a hidden feature
Old 12-31-2008, 06:41 AM

I wish the REORD buttons had an "R" on them, the same way that the INPUT, SOLO, and MUTE buttons have their respective letters on them. To not have an "R" on them breaks with the UI employed by the buttons right next to them - why?

An "R" would easily makes up for the lack of red on the record button. As it stands now, the record buttons can be somewhat ambiguous.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dann View Post
I wish the REORD buttons had an "R" on them, the same way that the INPUT, SOLO, and MUTE buttons have their respective letters on them. To not have an "R" on them breaks with the UI employed by the buttons right next to them - why?

An "R" would easily makes up for the lack of red on the record button. As it stands now, the record buttons can be somewhat ambiguous.
Because the record button has multiple modes you need to distinguish between them.

I haven't got PT 8 here but here's an explanation of it in pt 7.4
http://audiogeekzine.com/ProToolsRecordModes.png
Old 12-31-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeekzine View Post
Because the record button has multiple modes you need to distinguish between them.

I haven't got PT 8 here but here's an explanation of it in pt 7.4
http://audiogeekzine.com/ProToolsRecordModes.png
While I'm not affected by this red/green color blindness is very common. Putting a "R" on the button is probably the most reasonable accommodation for a person with a disability like red green color blindness.

Put a big silver "R" on the button. Have the button flash red when armed. Most folks will be able to figure out what a flashing button with a "R" on it signifies.

Add a silver loop to the red button with a big silver 'R" and most folks will figure that the button with the "R" and a loop means its in Loop mode.

Take that button thats flashing red with a big silver "R" on it and put a silver "P" on it. The same folks that were able to grasp that the button with the flashing "R" meant RECORD will probably grasp that the button with the flashing "P" now signifies QUICK PUNCH.

Take that button thats flashing red with a big silver "R" on it and put a "D" on it. The same folks that were able to grasp that the flashing "R" meant RECORD will hopefully make the leap the the buttons shiny new state means DESTRUCTIVE RECORD.

If you would like to change the color of the button when its in Quick Punch or Destructive record mode thats great (just don't make it red or green)

I don't think adding a "R" to the button would kill the functionality of it and is a fairly reasonable request.

The other side of the story is that it shouldn't be too hard too figure out which of the buttons are the record buttons simply by the process of elimination the fact that they don't have a "R" on them may help

Not trying to offend anyone. I do feel the original posters request is not a unreasonable request.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-31-2008, 07:25 PM

It is a basic tenet of user interface design to design for color blindness. If Digi botched this, then they are either not hiring professional UI people or they are ignoring them.

A professional would ensure color blind are included in user testing.

Ignoring these concerns is roughly equivalent to racism: denying individuals of a certain genetic makeup equal access. No professional would countenance being so insensitive.