Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2021, 05:08 PM

Default importing audio click track - any advice on this?

I recently got a track someone did of an acoustic guitar without a click. Now they want to add drums, bass, etc....

Normally I would just go through and make a tempo map. Although this takes a lot of time.

I have Logic because it came with a bundle I bought with FCP. There is this adaptive tempo feature. I imported the audio file into there and it worked flawlessly.

I just muted my track and exported the file using the click being played during playback and it worked like a charm.

However, importing the audio file into PT and extracting tempo seems to be off just enough to drive me crazy. I could go back and beat map this, which would be pretty fast but I don't know if there's some simple step I'm missing.

I used Beat Detective to extract the timing data.

I have no desire to use Logic for anything else. I spent a few hours with it and really like PT flexibility better so please no 'just use Logic' type of responses please.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-26-2021, 11:21 PM

Default Re: importing audio click track - any advice on this?

instead of importing the audio from logic, exporting midi from logic and import it into pro tools should import the tempo changes
Old 11-27-2021, 05:23 AM

Thanks. Would a midi have the tempo changes that the audio file has? I tried recording the click as midi in logic but couldn’t figure out how to do it.

All the tutorials I found referenced mixer buttons I don’t seem to have.

Instagram:
Old 11-27-2021, 01:55 PM

If you've already tempo-mapped it in Logic, then just creating an 8th note MIDI track the length of your session will give you what you want.
If it doesn't easily work for you to export that MIDI, then print the 8th note click (or any transient perc) to an audio track in Logic and then import the audio file into Pro Tools and Beat-Detective that.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:05 PM

Thanks so much. I pulled my source audio track into logic then made a midi track and played a little bit the length of my audio track.

Imported midi in pt and it asked me if I wanted the tempo information. Worked perfectly.

A great reason to own logic. Thanks again!

Instagram: