How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-20-2021, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.10 on Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypiasecki View Post
Do I need two, one for playback and one for record or just one for each? 1GB/s enough for maximum performance? Is this LaCie fast enough? Its bus powered.
This honestly made me laugh, as someone who used to use 7200rpm firewire drives to record to.

Yes, that's more than enough. No you don't need two drives. 1GB/s comes to 3472 tracks of 24bit/96kHz audio. That's probably enough? (ok, there's interface overhead etc, but even if you only get half the stated bandwidth, you get 1736 tracks.)

For comparison, my old firewire 800 session drive had a real-life throughput of about 50MB/sec, which was enough for 173 tracks of 24/96, or 346 tracks of 24/48 (which is what i was & am using). So even back in 2009 we were in pretty good shape...

here's how to do the math:
96000 samples/sec * 24bits/sample * 1byte/8bits = 288000 bytes/sec
1 GB = 1000000000 bytes (yes really, they use base 10 now for drive sizes)
1000000000 bytes / 288000 bytes/track = 3472.2 tracks
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies

Last edited by huzzam; 11-20-2021 at 04:40 AM. Reason: tons of extra whitespace was added
Old 11-21-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypiasecki View Post
Ive been researching the new Pro Tools Version. 2021.10
I am trying to sort this all out, but I am finding so many different things everywhere! Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

MacBook Pro M1 16GB Unified Memory
512GB Drive

Im looking at a LaCie 500GB 1GB/s SSD Thunderbolt3 drive as recommended for Pro Tools 2021.10 one or more drives for audio record/playback

Do I need two, one for playback and one for record or just one for each? 1GB/s enough for maximum performance? Is this LaCie fast enough? Its bus powered.

My Pro Tools 2021.10 shows a HD Driver download under my products. Are some HD Devices CoreAudio under bigSur 11.6 with the TB3 Chassis? Do I need the HD Driver or Pro Tools | Ultimate? Is there a HD Hardware I can use with Pro Tools 2021.10? I know that some HD Hardware come with HD Ultimate, but do I need Ultimate to use them? Can I use a HD Hardware with 2021.10 regular? Is it core audio under bigSur 11.6? Is 11.6.1 supported with Pro Tools 2021.10 or just 11.6? I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am finding so many different thing across the AVID website and Google and I am trying to make this short and sweet! Thanks!

Thanks much! Student here and loves AVID! Much love, happy holidays!

As you are starting to build out a system it’s important to do your research and qualify what is the most functional. If you think of your MBP as the brain of your set up, hosting your software, meaning Protools, plug-in’s and your VI’s. You will find it better to record your sessions to an external drive, a fast portable SSD will do. Research what is out there. You will then come to a point when using VI’s that the samples are so large, you will need another external SSD to store them. Then you will get to the point of an audio interface with AD to DA on it and the option for an external keyboard to trigger your VI’s.

It is nice to hope for a portable solution and a MBP to solve all your production issues, but at this point the memory and software developers are not there yet. Running a fully loaded 7.1 with HDX3 , SSD’s and large RAM setups, with large sessions will eliminate any laptop at this point in time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
As you are starting to build out a system it’s important to do your research and qualify what is the most functional. If you think of your MBP as the brain of your set up, hosting your software, meaning Protools, plug-in’s and your VI’s. You will find it better to record your sessions to an external drive, a fast portable SSD will do. Research what is out there. You will then come to a point when using VI’s that the samples are so large, you will need another external SSD to store them. Then you will get to the point of an audio interface with AD to DA on it and the option for an external keyboard to trigger your VI’s.

It is nice to hope for a portable solution and a MBP to solve all your production issues, but at this point the memory and software developers are not there yet. Running a fully loaded 7.1 with HDX3 , SSD’s and large RAM setups, with large sessions will eliminate any laptop at this point in time.

An external session drive is not a requirement on modern MBP and using one may result in worse performance. This has been true for years. I don’t know why you have to weigh in with old nonsense on a thread where good advice has already been offered. There is no faster drive available on a MBP than the internal fast PCIe/NVMe SSD. And that single super fast drive is able to easily handle sessions and samples for almost all uses especially somebody getting started. The practical driving issue is simply space on the internal drive.

And a lot of folks can run Pro Tools on a MBP with little external crap, not everybody needs a Mac Pro/HDX system.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
An external session drive is not a requirement on modern MBP and using one may result in worse performance. This has been true for years. I don’t know why you have to weigh in with old nonsense on a thread where good advice has already been offered. There is no faster drive available on a MBP than the internal fast PCIe/NVMe SSD. And that single super fast drive is able to easily handle sessions and samples for almost all uses especially somebody getting started. The practical driving issue is simply space on the internal drive.

And a lot of folks can run Pro Tools on a MBP with little external crap, not everybody needs a Mac Pro/HDX system.

Exporting sessions is much easier with a pocket SSD to bring to another location. Also it is always better to work to an external drive. In case a computer goes down.Always have and always take my laptop and plug it into other rigs running HDX via cables. Correct not everyone needs HDX, but have been doing this for along time and have seen to many issues where systems fail. Always need a back up. So don’t criticize me and tell me what I know. It’s excellent advice especially for some one starting out. Got it?

Old 11-21-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Exporting sessions is much easier with a pocket SSD to bring to another location. Also it is always better to work to an external drive. In case a computer goes down.Always have and always take my laptop and plug it into other rigs running HDX via cables. Correct not everyone needs HDX, but have been doing this for along time and have seen to many issues where systems fail. Always need a back up. So don’t criticize me and tell me what I know. It’s excellent advice especially for some one starting out. Got it?

Nobody said anything about not needing a backup, backups were not discussed and just using an external drive is not a backup. And I'd argue for typical laptop users an external drive will decrease reliability. Chance of it being accidently unplugged/damaged is higher, and just yet another thing to fail.

If you I want to export/move a session, sure stuff it on an external drive or USB stick. But none of that was being asked about. You might be projecting too much about your workflow that I suspect is unlikely to be relevant to new users.

You are not helping folks a lot who are trying to get going and already confused as hell by wrong, out of date information from Avid. Let alone wandering off into silly land about HDX irrelevant stuff. Folks are asking *basic* getting started questions.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nobody said anything about not needing a backup, backups were not discussed and just using an external drive is not a backup. And I'd argue for typical laptop users an external drive will decrease reliability. Chance of it being accidently unplugged/damaged is higher, and just yet another thing to fail.

If you I want to export/move a session, sure stuff it on an external drive or USB stick. But none of that was being asked about. You might be projecting too much about your workflow that I suspect is unlikely to be relevant to new users.

You are not helping folks a lot who are trying to get going and already confused as hell by wrong, out of date information from Avid. Let alone wandering off into silly land about HDX irrelevant stuff. Folks are asking *basic* getting started questions.

If you read the thread, someone mentioned that the new MBP was close to a 7.1 , it is not. That is what that comment was for. Don’t forget not everyone works on a laptop. Couldn’t get my work completed with out a large HDX system. Nor could many others in film or recording studios. Someone who is starting out needs to understand where it can go. If you are using PROTOOLS I would imagine they might be recording something in the future. Or creating with VI’s. It is a good idea to understand the paths that you could go down. It’s also important for them to do research on what and will not work. I have given my opinion on a correct path, you may not agree. However it may work for this person or not. I have found on my journey what works, that is what I will stick to and always work with. My apologies I thought this was a working professionals forum.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
If you read the thread, someone mentioned that the new MBP was close to a 7.1 , it is not. That is what that comment was for. Don’t forget not everyone works on a laptop. Couldn’t get my work completed with out a large HDX system. Nor could many others in film or recording studios. Someone who is starting out needs to understand where it can go. If you are using PROTOOLS I would imagine they might be recording something in the future. Or creating with VI’s. It is a good idea to understand the paths that you could go down. It’s also important for them to do research on what and will not work. I have given my opinion on a correct path, you may not agree. However it may work for this person or not. I have found on my journey what works, that is what I will stick to and always work with. My apologies I thought this was a working professionals forum.

I said the 7.1 (16-core) was close to the M1 Max in processing power. It is, in my testing. It's clearly totally different in terms of expandability - RAM, SSD, external connectivity etc.
In terms of reliability with PT, I've made it clear that it is nowhere near.

Your phrase "My apologies I thought this was a working professionals forum" is deliberately provocative. This is a forum for beginners and hobbyists, as well as working professionals, and I'm sure you know it.

Dominic
Old 11-22-2021, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I said the 7.1 (16-core) was close to the M1 Max in processing power. It is, in my testing. It's clearly totally different in terms of expandability - RAM, SSD, external connectivity etc.
In terms of reliability with PT, I've made it clear that it is nowhere near.

Your phrase "My apologies I thought this was a working professionals forum" is deliberately provocative. This is a forum for beginners and hobbyists, as well as working professionals, and I'm sure you know it.

Dominic

We don’t know at this time how powerful the new M1 Max is. All the software available is not up to date yet. Can you run a large session with everything that is available on previous OS or other machines. I wouldn’t be able to determine that until it is there. It would be incredible to have just a laptop that could.

And yes you are correct. If someone wants to police the internet and determine that their way is only the right way and criticize a way that is functional.

The op asked about hard drives. I will always run an external drive, at this time a SSD. If that person doesn’t great. Just giving an idea to think about for the future.

What happens when there are to many VI’s and their data on the MBP and they try and add audio. What if the drive is close to full? This may happen as they move forward.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:03 PM

M1max is a beast. Bank on it. I have a fully maxed out one.

It will not replace my 7.1 for my studio. But a new m1x Mac pro sure will.

I can't have a laptop sitting around connected to my stuff in my studio. Looks stupid. Even though when it is fully qualified for protools it will be more than adequate for the job.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
M1max is a beast. Bank on it. I have a fully maxed out one.

It will not replace my 7.1 for my studio. But a new m1x Mac pro sure will.

I can't have a laptop sitting around connected to my stuff in my studio. Looks stupid. Even though when it is fully qualified for protools it will be more than adequate for the job.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Good to hear. Can’t wait wait for the new Mac Pro, feel the same about the laptop, thanks for the info.