Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 AM

Default HDX-2 System w Clocking Issues

Hi, I'm running a HDX-2 system on a Mac Pro. Our rig has 4 HD I/Os & a Sync I/O (2 I/Os going into each HDX Card). 2 HD I/Os (the 2 connected to the same card as the Sync) are able to lock up to the Sync I/O, but I can't get the 2 remaining I/Os to switch from their internal clocks. I've searched all over the DUC and Gearslutz to no avail, hence the forum post. Any suggestions? Let me know if I can add any more info!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 AM

Default Re: HDX-2 System w Clocking Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDog793 View Post
Hi, I'm running a HDX-2 system on a Mac Pro. Our rig has 4 HD I/Os & a Sync I/O (2 I/Os going into each HDX Card). 2 HD I/Os (the 2 connected to the same card as the Sync) are able to lock up to the Sync I/O, but I can't get the 2 remaining I/Os to switch from their internal clocks. I've searched all over the DUC and Gearslutz to no avail, hence the forum post. Any suggestions? Let me know if I can add any more info!
Hi,

When you access the interface from the hardware page can you not select to clock from the sync I/O? is that your problem the SYNC I/O is not available as a clock?

Do you have all the right cable connections from clock in/out etc. are the 2 non clocking interfaces daisy chained from the 2 working intertfaces? or how do you have them connected.

are the 2 working interfaces and Sync I/O connected to the primary (1st) card in your system?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

When you access the interface from the hardware page can you not select to clock from the sync I/O? is that your problem the SYNC I/O is not available as a clock?

Do you have all the right cable connections from clock in/out etc. are the 2 non clocking interfaces daisy chained from the 2 working intertfaces? or how do you have them connected.

are the 2 working interfaces and Sync I/O connected to the primary (1st) card in your system?

Chris
Thanks for the response Crizdee, to answer your questions:

-In the hardware interface the Sync is not listed as a clock source, however if I go to the session setup window I can select the Sync as the clock (which is what I've done). Once you select the Sync as the clock in the session setup window and go back to the hardware window, the clock source is blank/grayed out. Hopefully that makes sense, I can take some screen shots if you'd think that would help.

-The cables are indeed hooked up correctly. Starting with Sync Loop Out to the 1st Interface's Loop In; 1st Loop Interface's Out to the 2nd Interface's Loop In; 2nd Loop Interface's Loop Out to the 3rd Loop Interface's Loop In; 3rd Interface's Loop Out to 4th Interfaces Loop In; and finally 4th Interface's Loop Out to the Sync Loop In. So basically the two non-clocking interfaces are daisy chained to the clocking interfaces.

-And correct, the two interfaces that are clocking correctly are connected to the primary card along with the Sync I/O. If I were to guess I'd say the problem has something to do with only half the I/Os being connected to a card with the Sync I/O
Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Sometimes it happens that one or more of my HDs will wake up stuck on internal, and a restart of Pro Tools usually fixes it.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have accidentally connected the Loop Sync cables to the Word Clock ports. Yes, I'm a dope. But they're right next to each other…

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Baird View Post
Sometimes it happens that one or more of my HDs will wake up stuck on internal, and a restart of Pro Tools usually fixes it.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have accidentally connected the Loop Sync cables to the Word Clock ports. Yes, I'm a dope. But they're right next to each other…

Peter
Thanks Peter for the suggestions! I wish it was as simple as restarting anything, but that was one of my first things to try. I've double checked the cables and have tried even moving everything to word clock and changing the setting within PT with no success. By process of elimination I've been able to get three of the four to sync up, but 1 HD I/O in particular will not change from it's internal clock regardless of how it's hooked up (both order or by itself). Should I assume it's a defective unit? The A/D & D/A cards from this unit work and it seems to just be a problem with the clock. Has anybody had a similar problem with a HD I/O before? Could it be a software/firmware issue? Any suggestions or guidance would be very much appreciated. Again hopefully everything I'm saying makes sense, but if I can elaborate on anything please don't hesitate to ask!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:06 AM

Hi,

So it does sound like a faulty HD interface is the cause? So 3 interfaces are working ok but one is stuck on internal sync?

Is it still under warranty?

Can you check the firmware version on them all? I think it's the same as previous interfaces! Load digi test from the Avid folder in applications and it will show the firmware and enable you to update to the latest etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

So it does sound like a faulty HD interface is the cause? So 3 interfaces are working ok but one is stuck on internal sync?

Is it still under warranty?

Can you check the firmware version on them all? I think it's the same as previous interfaces! Load digi test from the Avid folder in applications and it will show the firmware and enable you to update to the latest etc.

Chris
Thought I would just come back to explain what happened. Ended up having to send the unit to Avid. From my conversation with Avid, the fact that the HD I/O wouldn't pass the loop sync signal seemed to be a bigger deal than the fact it wouldn't switch clocks.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 PM

This sounds like a broken clock cable between interfaces #2 and #3.

Try taking interface #4 out of the equation and use another clock cable between interfaces #2 and #3 and if it suddenly recognizes three interfaces, you know what you need to do
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
This sounds like a broken clock cable between interfaces #2 and #3.

Try taking interface #4 out of the equation and use another clock cable between interfaces #2 and #3 and if it suddenly recognizes three interfaces, you know what you need to do
I wish it was as easy as a bad cable, but definitely tried changing the cables with no success. Thanks for the idea though!