Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-22-2021, 09:38 AM

Default Plugins Not Showing

Hi all,

I had a lot of trouble getting Pro Tools to play without errors, but I've finally figured it out! Unfortunately, I reinstalled Pro Tools when I was troubleshooting and now it doesn't scan my plugins except for a choice few Avid plugins.

I've tried trashing preferences, but that didn't help. Doesn't matter if it's a stereo or mono track because the plugins don't get scanned when Pro Tools opens.

I don't have to copy all my hundreds of plugins into the Pro Tools folder, do I? The first version of Pro Tools that I installed was finding my plugins without me doing anything, so why isn't this one?

I'm using Pro Tools version 2021.3.1 on a Windows PC version 20H2. I'll give you guys a Sandra report if you want it, but I assume you wouldn't need it for this question.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Plugins Not Showing

What else have you done? Did you upgrade from an earlier version of Pro Tools? What exact version? Have you ever had all these plugins working before on 2021.3.1?

If you have been moving plugins around the most likely cause of this is your plugins are not in the correct location and/or are not the needed AAX-64 format. Or maybe you unintentionally deleted everything.

Pro Tools will automagically put back it's core default plugins if they are missing. And I'd suspect it's possible that you have all the other plugins in slightly the wrong location, and Pro Tools has put back the default core plugins in the correct location.

But either way you need to actually look at stuff... what exactly is in...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins

Are the missing plugins there or not?

If they are there then trash prefs again. Make sure you follow Avid's instructions exactly for your specific Pro Tools and Windows version. Or even better buy Trasher and let it do that for you. https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/support/trasher. After you trash prefs make sure you see Pro Tools scanning the plugins, if only the default ones. What happens?

And if the missing plugin files are not somewhere else and you can't manually copy them back into the plugin folder then grab the latest/compatible installers and just install them. It's not a bad thing to do full clean installs every now and again. But do actually check compatibility claims from vendors.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:49 AM

It sounds like PT has lost the connection to the whole Plugin folder. Did you move it? The reason you see the Avid plugins is that PT automatically recreates them if they're not present where they are supposed to.

Do a search for ' pro tools plugin folder location windows'.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins

Are the missing plugins there or not?

Thanks for the reply! Just checked, my plugins that do load are in that folder, but there are a lot of third party VSTs that I use in FL Studio that I don't keep in that folder. Is there a way to ask Pro Tools to search in multiple folders? Or do I need to move everything to the Pro Tools folder? I think it's likely that I moved something around to the wrong place because I was moving folders around to try to solve my other problem (ugh).
Old 11-22-2021, 01:54 PM

I actually downgraded my version to be compatible with my windows version
Old 11-22-2021, 01:56 PM

Oh weird, I didn't realize quick reply was instantaneous while the other format is not. I wrote another reply that hasn't been moderator approved; it went something like this:

Thanks for your response! I think it's likely that I did move the folders around. I checked and the folder you mentioned contains the plugins that do show up in Pro Tools. However, I have third party VSTs scattered all around my computer. How do I get Pro Tools to find those?
Old 11-22-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielrf1 View Post
Oh weird, I didn't realize quick reply was instantaneous while the other format is not. I wrote another reply that hasn't been moderator approved; it went something like this:

Thanks for your response! I think it's likely that I did move the folders around. I checked and the folder you mentioned contains the plugins that do show up in Pro Tools. However, I have third party VSTs scattered all around my computer. How do I get Pro Tools to find those?
You can't 'get PT to find them', you have to move them back to where your Avid plugins reside. Detective work. Why don't you just search for a plugin name?
Old 11-22-2021, 02:32 PM

Pro Tools won’t “see” vst plugins in the first place. There are VST hosts that will bridge that gap, like Bluecat Patchwork, but Pro Tools plugin format is AAX.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:41 PM

And yet again on DUC we are left wondering if “VST” is being misused as a generic name for a VI or for actual VST plugins?

One reason you actually would have .VST files “scattered around” is you actually installed those when you installed the AAX plugins.

Your computer sounds a mess. At this point I would delete/move somewhere out of the way all plugins you don’t need and go find current installers and reinstall all the plugins.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:23 PM

I think the issue is, he had aax plugins working and somhow 'displaced' them. Someone with better knowledge of windows than me might perhaps suggest an easy way to locate the misplaced folder?