Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-21-2021, 08:21 PM

Default New subscription requires surrenders?

I’m sorry if this has been answered but I could not find it.

I wish to purchase an annual subscription to Pro Tools (vanilla) to see if it serves my purposes. I currently own two HD licenses HD 10/11 and HD9/10 on separate iLoks from the pre-perpetual days and wish to keep them. Will the new subscription involve those older licenses at all?

Thanks much.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:04 PM

Default Re: New subscription requires surrenders?

Nope.

But why are you not using the free trials? See https://www.avid.com/pro-tools

But if you can't use those trials (say you already did one) then...

This is not hard. Stop looking at any special offers and go to the subscription site on Avid's store and a month to month subscription for Pro Tools standard. This link may or may not work: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...ate=DetailView

What you see should be $34.99 per month. -- if you are evaluating it why purchase a whole year subscription, purchase one month and see if that works and then cancel and move to an annual subscription.

As far as Avid is concerned for this transaction you don't own anything else and don't go to sales/purchase/renewal pages as if you do.

---

And you asked about subscriptions, which I suspect is the way to go, but I'll point out you can also buy a perpetual license and pay for annual renewals. Details on the Avid store.... or Avid resellers like Vintage King can help with any questions.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nope.

But why are you not using the free trials? See https://www.avid.com/pro-tools

But if you can't use those trials (say you already did one) then...

This is not hard. Stop looking at any special offers and go to the subscription site on Avid's store and a month to month subscription for Pro Tools standard. This link may or may not work: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...ate=DetailView

What you see should be $34.99 per month. -- if you are evaluating it why purchase a whole year subscription, purchase one month and see if that works and then cancel and move to an annual subscription.

As far as Avid is concerned for this transaction you don't own anything else and don't go to sales/purchase/renewal pages as if you do.

---

And you asked about subscriptions, which I suspect is the way to go, but I'll point out you can also buy a perpetual license and pay for annual renewals. Details on the Avid store.... or Avid resellers like Vintage King can help with any questions.
Thanks Darryl, I appreciate the quick response.

I’m not big on trials. I already know I want and suspect I will like Pro Tools vanilla for regular work. Just wanted confirmation that surrenders were not part of subscriptions.

Best regards, Peter
Old 11-22-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artysan View Post
I’m not big on trials. I already know I want and suspect I will like Pro Tools vanilla for regular work. Just wanted confirmation that surrenders were not part of subscriptions.
It works like this:
Pro Tools is one big install. Then, each time it's launched it looks for a license. If it finds a Standard license, it will run with Ultimate features disabled. If it finds a perpetual or subscription or demo license that is valid, it will choose one. (Not shure, but I guess you will have a choice if there are several options.)

So, one installation. That's it. If you get a demo license, it's just a free month. No need to install again if you get a proper license.

Added: Demo license is always Ultimate, btw.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 11-22-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
It works like this:
Pro Tools is one big install. Then, each time it's launched it looks for a license. If it finds a Standard license, it will run with Ultimate features disabled. If it finds a perpetual or subscription or demo license that is valid, it will choose one. (Not shure, but I guess you will have a choice if there are several options.)

So, one installation. That's it. If you get a demo license, it's just a free month. No need to install again if you get a proper license.

Added: Demo license is always Ultimate, btw.
Actually, Ben, there are many different versions of Pro Tools, such as PT11HD, PT12HD or PT2021.10 std, so no, it’s not one big install for numerous versions, obviously.

I’m very familiar with installing, upgrading, etc., but I have not yet ever ‘downgraded to a new version’ from HD/Ultimate. Avid can be full of surprises when upgrading and I have received helpful answers to my question re surprise surrenders.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artysan View Post
Actually, Ben, there are many different versions of Pro Tools, such as PT11HD, PT12HD or PT2021.10 std, so no, it’s not one big install for numerous versions, obviously.

I’m very familiar with installing, upgrading, etc., but I have not yet ever ‘downgraded to a new version’ from HD/Ultimate. Avid can be full of surprises when upgrading and I have received helpful answers to my question re surprise surrenders.
When we're talking demo or subscription, there is only current version, and it's one installer like I said. That's why I wrote what I did.