Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Having Pro Tools on only one OSX User Account

Hi folks,

Just looking to see if anyone has recommendation or experience of running Pro Tools on a separate 'work' user account on OSX Mountain Lion.

My aim is to have a work account and a personal account on the one MBP. I'd rather keep all my audio apps in the work account. I've a fresh install of Mountain Lion with two accounts, and after going through the install process for Pro Tools there was no option to choose a user account, it just installs system wide.

Would critical system paths be broken if I moved PT into the local applications folder for the work account?

Many thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Having Pro Tools on only one OSX User Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
Hi folks,

Just looking to see if anyone has recommendation or experience of running Pro Tools on a separate 'work' user account on OSX Mountain Lion.

My aim is to have a work account and a personal account on the one MBP. I'd rather keep all my audio apps in the work account. I've a fresh install of Mountain Lion with two accounts, and after going through the install process for Pro Tools there was no option to choose a user account, it just installs system wide.

Would critical system paths be broken if I moved PT into the local applications folder for the work account?

Many thanks

Hi there,

Not sure I fully understand but the Applications folder is system wide. Once installed it's available for all users.

Dev
Old 04-01-2016, 03:55 AM

Hi Dev,

You can have a local Applications folder in the Home folder of a user account. Apple don't put one there by default, but if you make a folder within it and call it Applications it re-skins itself with the App Folder icon.

Theoretically it should be just a case of dragging the Avid folder from the system Applications to the local Applications, but I'm just fishing to see if anyone with experience can confirm it doesn't cause any hiccups or stability issues.

Best,
Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 AM

Did some more searching and found this thread.

So, the confusion I'm having is that OSX theoretically shouldn't care where an app is stored, as apps should all be self contained. But there are exceptions to the rule, and what I'm wondering is if Pro Tools is one of those exceptions.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:04 AM

Having trouble understanding why you want to do this but...

Are you then also planning on moving all the Application Support Folder and Audio Folder files as well? I mean most of everything PT relies on is in the system-wide Library folder, so just moving the app... doesn't really do very much. Why does it bother you to have PT in the main apps folder while you're on your personal account?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:20 PM

It's just a case of wanting an account to do home/personal work on that isn't populated with audio apps that I'll feel tempted to open and work in during free time. Small bit of OCD wanting to keep everything in it's correct place too :)

Very true about the system wide library dependencies too, which probably answers my question that there is no easy way to have Pro Tools in only one users account.

Thanks for all replies.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:40 PM
tundra

You can create as many accounts as you want on a mac..

They will all have access to all the applications... unless you put the Application in the Users homefolder.. something which is not usually recommended.

Just use one account and maintain some restraint..

- professional Mac Tech..