How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Default V-Control Pro as replacement for hardware surface

Hi All,

I'm currently looking into a control surface.

It's very tempting to purchase an iPad and use V-Control Pro as a mixing surface.

Does anyone have experience using this product to run as a mixing surface?

How does it compare to using it instead of a hardware surface? Obviously you won't get the same tactile feel of a real fader, but is it a reasonable thing to do?

Otherwise, I'm probably going to end up getting a Mackie Control Universal.

Thanks much,
Mike
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Default Re: V-Control Pro as replacement for hardware surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
Hi All,

I'm currently looking into a control surface.

It's very tempting to purchase an iPad and use V-Control Pro as a mixing surface.

Does anyone have experience using this product to run as a mixing surface?

How does it compare to using it instead of a hardware surface? Obviously you won't get the same tactile feel of a real fader, but is it a reasonable thing to do?

Otherwise, I'm probably going to end up getting a Mackie Control Universal.

Thanks much,
Mike
i have messed around w it at a studio and at namm. was actually quite impressed, especially now that you can open and control plugins w it. the response time and automating is completely usable and seemed no different than other hui based controllers. i am seriously thinking about it myself right now.

if you can track down third eye studios on here and message him or something if he dont respond, he is using it all the time and retired his mackie hui for it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM

You can also completely mirror your screen from PTools to your iPad now. Scroll and magnify etc.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 04:31 PM

It's quite slick. If I didn't have a Mackie Control, I might not buy one, and use V-Control. It's not perfect, I still prefer real faders. But for the price, and especially if you already have an iPad, it's pretty cool.

I wish he could get the panner to be multi-touch. Would be so cool to use his panner for both left and right side at the same time. But I assume this is a limit of PT.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 AM

I actually have both V-Control Pro & DAW Remote HD only because I wanted to see which was the best; both are absolutely wonderful but I prefer the DAW Remote HD over V-Control only because you can use multiple IPads with it, I can actually use 3 IPads & have 24 faders along with plug-in us using DAW Remote HD; you can't use multiple IPads with V-Control but like I said they both are great. V-Control is running about $50 & DAW Remote HD is around $15.

Eric Allen
EAP-Entertainment Co
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 PM

If you are looking to spend around $600 for a control surface or already own an iPad then I say go for it. You might consider an http://www.frontierdesign.com/products/alphatrack or if you have an iPhone or Android there are really cheap options there as well.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 AM

Thanks everybody. I'm going to try v control pro out on a friends iPad. If it works out, I'll go that route.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Shirt View Post
If you are looking to spend around $600 for a control surface or already own an iPad then I say go for it. You might consider an http://www.frontierdesign.com/products/alphatrack or if you have an iPhone or Android there are really cheap options there as well.
Problem with the Alphatrack is it's long been out of production so any unit you're likely to find online will be used or real old stock. Kind of sad because it was a decent product.

QAPLA!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:15 PM

I use it all the time.
I am not sure I could use it for mixing major projects because you can only see a handful of faders at one time, and, editing and drawing automation is alot faster and easier in the screen.
With that being said, i love it....
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 AM

I use it constantly almost on every session. I even wrote 3 little articles about it: neyrinck 1 neyrinck 2 neyricnk 3