Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 AM

Default issues with midi controller and access violation occur message

Hi, just wondering if any one could help out.

When starting session in pro tools message comes up

'The original midi device associated with the midi controller "m audio keyboard" could not be located. Please choose existing midi controller section of the peripherals dialog.' i then click ok, and the session starts.

When i go into the peripherals settings and try and change the settings to none the system crashes,with a message 'Access violation occurred, caused a DEP violation at 0x0000000000000000, and if i change it to command8, hui or surround planner it comes up with a message, 'you must assign a midi port to receive from for midi controller #1, or change its type to none.

I was just trying to get my midi keyboard working with pro tools, it is a Ashton UMK61, everything still works in pro tools but when i close a session another error message comes up saying 'could not complete the exit command because access violation occured, thread cause DEP violation at 0x0000000000000000

Windows 10 64 bit intel core i7-4770s [email protected] GHz 8 GB RAM ASUS
pro tools 12
Old 02-25-2016, 08:20 AM

Default Re: issues with midi controller and access violation occur message

I just started getting this very same access violation 2 days ago and I have an Axiom Pro 64 keyboard controller. I wasn't getting it until after I installed the new Application Manager version 2.1.115. I don't know how that could be related but that's when it started. Also the same night I installed the free Nugen A/B plugin. I am very interested to see what the answer to this would be. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 AM

Default Re: issues with midi controller and access violation occur message

After some troubleshooting with this here's what I found. The issue of the M-Audio keyboard message and the access violation error message 0x0000000000000000 when exiting the Pro Tools 12 application look like they are 2 different things, even though they seemed to have started at exactly the same time, so take that with a grain of salt. In regards to the M-Audio keyboard not being recognized message after starting a Pro Tools session, It appears this has to do with only the part about using the M-Audio keyboard as a controller. I discovered if you remove the M-Audio keyboard in the Setup>Peripherals>Controllers dialog box, and make sure the keyboard is still set up in Audio Midi Setup (Windows). The keyboard still works fine as far as playing your keyboard. You just don"t have the ability to use it as a controller with Pro Tools for the other items on the keyboard with HyperControl but as we all know we haven't been able to use it for that for PT11 and 12 anyway. I'm surprised Avid hasn't just told everybody not to enter it in the dialog box or removed the M-Audio option in 11 and 12 anyway. So disable that and you don't get the message at startup anymore.
Issue#2 with the error message when closing down Pro Tools. I did 2 things and it went away. Since I don't use the DX Driver I uninstalled it and I uninstalled Pro Tools and the HD driver and re-installed and all is now ok. Don't know which of those two things fixed it but one of them did. I did not have to trash all my preferences and they were still all there after re-installing. I'm on Pro Tools 12.4 HD by the way. Hope that helps someone down the line.