Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 AM

Default Help needed with EZDrummer issue

I have EZDrummer along with many of its expansions. The ones i use most frequently are the Standard kit, Drumkit From Hell and Metalheads. The issue that i have is when i use EZDrummer as a plugin for Pro Tools 10. I use EZDrummer to get decent sounding MIDI drums which i can then 'record' using the multi-out function, giving me audio tracks to mix for each drum. The issue i have is that when im programming the drums via Pro Tools' MIDI editor the sounds i get from the MIDI editor sound weaker/thinner than those you get when you click on a drum to preview it in the EZDrummer window. Does anyone know how i can get the my MIDI drums to sound the same as they do in the program? As i dont know why the drums sound crappier if i use the program as a MIDI instrument.
If anyone can shed some light on this i would be very grateful
Old 03-15-2012, 05:19 PM

I believe the previews when you click on the kit pieces are full velocity, so you're getting the fullest, loudest tone. When you manually pencil in a MIDI note it's a set value, I think 80 by default, but I forget. That's probably the difference you're hearing. If you want the full crack of the drums, turn up the velocities in your MIDI notes in the editor.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Help needed with EZDrummer issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
I believe the previews when you click on the kit pieces are full velocity, so you're getting the fullest, loudest tone. When you manually pencil in a MIDI note it's a set value, I think 80 by default, but I forget. That's probably the difference you're hearing. If you want the full crack of the drums, turn up the velocities in your MIDI notes in the editor.
Ah right, ill turn the velocities up and see what that does for me. Thanks for the info, will give it a go and will post if its worked or not
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Ive tried your suggestion but sadly it makes no difference to the tonality of the MIDI drums. It really sucks as the previews sound so great and yet when you MIDI it in, it sounds so mediocre
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM

I believe I had the same issue - that when I would sample the kit in EZ Drummer by clicking with my mouse - I got the full 127 "slam" on each kit piece.

I am now using a set of Roland TD-4KX to trigger Superior (which behaves similar to EZ) and I usually put my Massey limiter plugin (a great, transparent limiter) as an Insert after Superior Drummer and dial in some additional dbs to get the sound out the "same" into my mix while tracking.

Doing this - the kit sounds just as big as when I'm tapping with the mouse.