How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Default Best foot controller for 11r?

Hi guys,

So Im looking for a foot controller for my eleven rack. At the moment the one I found is the Voodo lab Ground Control Pro. Any other options?

Thanks,
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Best foot controller for 11r?

What are your needs?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Well I want to able to change patches. I had an old Zoom effect processor and I use to have on each back in pedal One: the distortion, pedal two: chorus, pedal three: randon effect and 4 the wah wah.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
Well I want to able to change patches. I had an old Zoom effect processor and I use to have on each back in pedal One: the distortion, pedal two: chorus, pedal three: randon effect and 4 the wah wah.
Well at the moment there is no best option. Apparently, there is no way to probe the state of the 11R and no way of sending tuner information to the MIDI controller. There is a chance that this will be remedied by voting for both ideas at IdeaScale.

Anyway, The controller I use is the FCB1010 by Crapinger. I know what you are thinking, "there is no way I am going to use that piece of garbage!". Well that's what I thought .

But the game changer was that EurekaSound made an EPROM replacement chip that you put in the controller and it negates any need for programming the unit - yay . As a complete MIDIot, that was problem solved. So after replacing the chip it was "plug 'n' play". And cheap too the chip and unit cost only $125 AU - approx $137 US. It's not perfect, like I said there is no way to probe the state of FX, that's the fault of the 11R, not the makers of the chip, and, you will need to do some tap dancing. ATM I am using ver 1.2 and will upgrade to v1.3 very soonly and if the 11R gets a probe state they might make v1.4.

But if the 11R can transfer tuner information in the 'near' future a good option might well be a Roland FC-300. I was looking very closely at that unit, but, that was around $600AU.

The best option would be Avid making there own foot controller with all the fuctionality, you know rocker controls (Volume, Wah, Multi FX), 10+ buttons for access to all 11R blocks, bank changing, probe states, LCD screen for preset names and tuner info. Perchance to dream .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

So Im looking for a foot controller for my eleven rack. At the moment the one I found is the Voodo lab Ground Control Pro. Any other options?

Thanks,
Line6 HD 500 - awesome foot controller (with a wah toe switch - yeah!), extra effects, built-in tuner... and in a pinch can be a backup rig. I take a line out (amp 1 or 2 usually) and run it into the HD and use the tuner feature there. Works great. In most cases you'll probably come close (or more) to the price getting a "quality" controller.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Vercingetorix is correct: there is no "ideal" controller in the sense that you get two-way communication between the controller and the ER.

In that sense, all of the controllers are on an equal footing.

Any controller that can send both PC (to change patches) and CC (to turn individual effects on and off) messages should meet your needs. The list of controllers that don't do these things is very short: the Tech21 MidiMouse, the Rocktron MIDI xChange, and maybe one or two other obscure controllers that send only PC messages. (And, come to think of it, maybe the Behringer without one of the third-party upgrades…)

The Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro, the Roland FC-300 and the Rocktron MIDI Mate all have their fans, as does the modified (with either of the third-party EPROMS) Behringer FBC-1010.

They all do pretty much the same thing. There's nothing magic about MIDI. Your choices revolve around things like cost, size, weight, ease of programming, number of switches and treadles, display style and size, and power options.

Research the units mentioned above, search for other threads related to their use with the ER, and ask questions if you're still stuck.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Oh, and since we're plugging IdeaScale requests, here's a request for full support of the FC-300, which - if the ER cooperated - is quite capable of displaying current switch status, patch names, and tuner.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...300/28192-3779
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks,
I picked up an Eleven Rack a couple of weeks ago and spent some time agonizing over this decision and ended up ordering the Ground Control Pro.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
I picked up an Eleven Rack a couple of weeks ago and spent some time agonizing over this decision and ended up ordering the Ground Control Pro.
Good for you . I would've liked to have gone with a Ground Control Pro unit myself, but, the base unit here in Oz is $880 and with a expression pedal costing another at least $150 (plus postage) that would've put it well over the $1,000 AU mark. All without programming the unit to work properly - I need a hair-pulling emoticon .

When you consider that the Behringer option was only $125 AU, with plug 'n' play - it pretty much appealed to my short arms and deep pockets .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Good for you . I would've liked to have gone with a Ground Control Pro unit myself, but, the base unit here in Oz is $880 and with a expression pedal costing another at least $150 (plus postage) that would've put it well over the $1,000 AU mark. All without programming the unit to work properly - I need a hair-pulling emoticon .

When you consider that the Behringer option was only $125 AU, with plug 'n' play - it pretty much appealed to my short arms and deep pockets .
Every time I see how much gear costs in Oz, I just cringe - really feel sorry for your pocket book!