Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Default How do i genlock my sytem

Hi,

I run PT12 HD rig with an AJA express I/O synced internal. I notice the quicktime offset drifting.
So now i'd like to genlock my video and my interface because i do audio to picture quiet a lot.
But have no clue where to start.
Do i need black burst, Sync HD, a word clock generator or all?
What's the cheapest option?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 AM

Default Re: How do i genlock my sytem

Get yourself an AJA Gen 10 HD Sync Generator. This is the vid ref source you'll feed your video card and feed your sync HD via BNC cable to the "vid ref" bnc inputs. You have to switch the right settings on AJA device to whatever your video is set as. (There's different switches for different frame rates.) Make sure your serial connection is going to your HD Native device from your HD Sync. In your ProTools session there's a Video Reference option (I believe in session setup.) Then select the correct frame rate (it doesn't auto detect which frame rate your video is.) It'll let your know when you're synchronized.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Thanks, that clears up things for me!
I won't be able to get a cheaper solution than the Sync HD right?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, no. You're stuck using ProTools interfaces (AAX DSP or Native Thunderbolt) with a SYNC HD if you want gen-locked systems. Some tests have been done with other video professionals that claim that unless you're doing ADR work then you probably don't need it.

You might already know this but you also need to synchronize your video with your audio. Typically there's a delay that occurs when you send picture through protools to a television or other video device. When you playback audio, you hear it nearly immediately but with video you often get a "delay" as either the t.v. or video card / computer "think" before display picturing. This isn't a problem with consumer HDMI because the audio and video are sent at the same time on the same cable and therefore the audio and video have exactly the same amount of delay.

There's a useful app called Catchin' Sync you can download of the iPhone, it provides video files and audio "blips" where it shows you how many milliseconds you're out of sync from picture. This video offset value is displayed in milliseconds. I have a machine at a studio that's nearly 20 quarter frames delayed! Crazy. Also this can vary depending on what type of video file you are using. If you don't have a gen locked system this "delay" can vary because the frames aren't aligned. I actually have a hunch that it's more of a problem not have vid ref for slower-framed video like 23.98 because there's less video frames so edge alignment is more of an issue.

Do this: if you have an OMF file / AAF file or Quicktime file, import the quicktime AUDIO as reference. You KNOW this is in sync. The audio in the quicktime should align up with your OMF files. Look for drift along your timeline where the audio in the injested OMF / AAF don't align with the quicktime. If they don't, then you have an issue with your OMF /AAF file. This provides you some confidence that what the editor sees and hears is what you're getting as well.

I've had video drifting even with gen locked protools systems. You have to be a bit of a detective when this happens. Could be the OMF export had the wrong frame rate as the video file or vice versa.