Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Default Control surface for Pro Tools HD - opinions?

Hi all,

One of our rooms at the university I work at has a Control|24 that we're ready to bin. Power Supply has blown three times now, and we've also had to have three faders repaired. When the PSU went the other day, I reconfigured the room so students can work without the console.

What with the Control|24 being "no longer supported" after Pro Tools 10, we're looking at other options. It was always much too big for this small edit room, so something with 8 motorised, touch-sensitive faders would be fine. Also, if it had a built in monitor section, that would be ideal too. Command|8 fits the bill... but is also no longer supported after PT10.

Other options :

Euphonix MC Mix - I'm not keen. Had one myself, and had to send it back to Avid in Ireland after the case spontaneously cracked. Also, no monitor section. Not to mention it's very small and desirable, making it a prime target for thieves.

Mackie Control Universal Pro - no monitor section, but otherwise would fit the bill. I presume it just uses HUI to communicate with PT?

Is there anything else out there that would fit the bill?

Many thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Control surface for Pro Tools HD - opinions?

What about the newer C24 that came out a couple years ago? That will be supported in PT11 and beyond.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 AM

We've already got a C|24 in one of our other rooms, but it's too big and expensive for this smaller edit room. It's used mainly for editing post and recording VO from an attached booth with four mic inputs (we already have pres). The Mackie is looking most attractive I think, especially as it can be easily extended to 16 faders.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Wonder if the SSL Nucleus would work here?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM

In theory it would, but it's incredibly expensive and probably overkill for the room - we don't need any of the analogue functions or the audio interface. In any case, even if the money was available, I'd probably not want to use it in this room as it doesn't have a kensington lock socket. Security is a prime concern in this environment, I'm afraid.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chapman View Post
Hi all,

One of our rooms at the university I work at has a Control|24 that we're ready to bin. Power Supply has blown three times now, and we've also had to have three faders repaired. When the PSU went the other day, I reconfigured the room so students can work without the console.

What with the Control|24 being "no longer supported" after Pro Tools 10, we're looking at other options. It was always much too big for this small edit room, so something with 8 motorised, touch-sensitive faders would be fine. Also, if it had a built in monitor section, that would be ideal too. Command|8 fits the bill... but is also no longer supported after PT10.

Other options :

Euphonix MC Mix - I'm not keen. Had one myself, and had to send it back to Avid in Ireland after the case spontaneously cracked. Also, no monitor section. Not to mention it's very small and desirable, making it a prime target for thieves.

Mackie Control Universal Pro - no monitor section, but otherwise would fit the bill. I presume it just uses HUI to communicate with PT?

Is there anything else out there that would fit the bill?

Many thanks
You should take a spin on the review Craig Anderton did in this months emusician...
http://www.emusician.com/gear/0769/a...aradigm/147792

I think there is one that's cheaper and he gets into the features and differences.

I agree with you $5k for a box is pretty expensive but the SSL and Focusrite have PREs so that makes them more expensive. Check out the other two.

Behringer also had some new control surface that was pretty keen though I am really not familiar with their stuff, anyone got any comments on Behringer's reputation?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:48 PM

iPad and VControl? http://www.neyrinck.com/en/products/v-control-pro

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM

That focusrite box looks sweet. A bit, okay a long ways, out of my price range but very cool non the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk