Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 05-13-2024, 03:37 PM

Default Carbon DSPpower

Has anyone done a test to see how many plugins the Carbon can handle using its own DSP?
Like some tests that I have seen when they have for instance 20 tracks with 6 EQ's on each track...

I used to use a HD192 which had the Core card and 1 accel card 10 years ago.
How to the 4 DSP chips in the Carbon compare to that?

Cheers
Rosco
Old 05-13-2024, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Carbon DSPpower

That's a poor test because some plugins have different demands (like the requirement to run all on one chip.) So you'll get different results depending on how they load in and what the plugins are.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Has anyone done a test to see how many plugins the Carbon can handle using its own DSP?
Like some tests that I have seen when they have for instance 20 tracks with 6 EQ's on each track...

I used to use a HD192 which had the Core card and 1 accel card 10 years ago.
How to the 4 DSP chips in the Carbon compare to that?

Cheers
Rosco
First there are 8 HDX-DSP's chips in Carbon not 4.

Yes I ran a test (video link below) now don't know how what I did in this test will correlate to what you are wanting to do or find out -- but you can maybe get some notion of possible potential.
Also I never ran a TDM or HDX system so have not clue How it will compare

Here is the test I did
https://youtu.be/0Qz2lcE9I0Y?feature=shared

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 05-15-2024 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
That's a poor test because some plugins have different demands (like the requirement to run all on one chip.) So you'll get different results depending on how they load in and what the plugins are.

The 'mixer' DSP amount used is also proportional to the size and complexity of the session routing that needs to be maintained for low latency monitoring.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:21 PM

Hey thanks Kev,
That is exactly what I was looking for.

I am looking for enough DSP to have my VO trks in DSP mode for latency minimising.

I do mostly advertising post, so its the VO recording that can really do with this.

Thanks so much.

Cheers
rosco
Old 06-14-2024, 02:24 PM

Low latency is a relative term. Many AAX DSP plugins (anything by Softube, Plugin-Alliance, and McDSP) adds 0.75ms PER PLUGIN.

MetricHalo, on the other hand, has a great channelstrip that's only 10 samples. It even has a limiter.

I tend to use it the most, as well as the AVID ChannelStrip, Impact for buss compression, and the BF76 for a usable 1176.

We're really lean on good, modern go-to AAX DSP plugins, unfortunately. The few that exist add lots of latency and aren't usable for tracking (Purple MC77 by Plugin-Alliance, for example).

SONNOX, AVID, MetricHalo version 3 (they've now, possibly, dropped AAX DSP support with their new products), Townsend/UA Sphere, and EL's Arouser are pretty much the only options for true low latency AAX DSP. Softube has stopped their AAX DSP updates and abandoned the format, Plugin-Alliance no longer adds the AAX DSP format on new plugins (as far as I can tell), and both use(d) the high latency coding conversion to AAX DSP.

You may be able to actually get better latency with Native systems, if you're looking to stack several plugins that aren't those few I mentioned. It's easy to be 4ms RTL on Carbon even though you're using AAX DSP. It's also possible to stay below 2ms RTL with plugins at 44.1kHz, if you are careful with what you use.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Plugin-Alliance no longer adds the AAX DSP format on new plugins (as far as I can tell),
bx_glue (released Apr 25, 2024) has AAX DSP support
Old 06-15-2024, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
bx_glue (released Apr 25, 2024) has AAX DSP support
Never mind the lack of new DSP plug-ins from PA or even the higher latency on their plug-ins. You still can’t add more then 4 PA plug-ins in DSP mode on the Carbon without the long delay on switching between DSP and Native mode