Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Default Changing Xpand2 presets with Axiom pro 61

Each and every time I change a preset in Xpand2 using the preset increment command on my Axiom Pro (holding down soft key plugin and either right or left arrow while in Instrument mode) it defaults to the very first preset in the Pads group, no matter what group of sounds I was already in (e.g. bass).

Is this a bug that anyone else has encountered or is it perhaps a very rare form of user error
Old 11-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Changing Xpand2 presets with Axiom pro 61

Sounds odd Simon, can you post your complete system specs please?

filosofem
Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Sounds odd Simon, can you post your complete system specs please?

filosofem
Hi filosofem,

Yeah, it is odd. I haven't experienced this with other VI's, only with Xpand2. I will be in the studio tonight finishing a song for a corporate presentation and will prod it (and other VI's) a bit more to make sure it isn't user error, but I am confident that I am pushing all the right buttons (as per DigiTV videos and the manual).

WinXP sp3
AMD X2 4400+ on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium
2GB ram
PTLE 8.01
Digi002r
M-audio Axion Pro 61
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Stepping through Plug-In Settings is as you are doing. Does any of the below apply?

AMD Desktop Processors
The AMD processors listed below were used by Beta Sites during Pro Tools 8.0 development. They were not tested by Digidesign Engineering but are considered compatible with Pro Tools LE 8.0 for Windows:
  • AMD Athlon™ 64
  • AMD Athlon™ 64 FX
  • AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
  • AMD Opteron™

Notes:
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core requires the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer
  • Pro Tools 8 uses certain SSE instructions for drawing and other performance critical code. We have found that some older models of AMD chips from the Athlon 64 X2 (Athlon X2, AMD K9) family do not support specific SSE instructions used by Pro Tools, even though they claim to be SSE compliant. On these AMD computers, Pro Tools 8 will not launch. Unfortunately, this issue is not something we think can be fixed on our end, given the amount of custom recoding and testing that would be required. Current AMD chips and those manufactured in the last few years do support these SSE instructions.
  • Although not tested, there have been reports of incompatibility from some users with Pro Tools and motherboards with the NVIDIA nForce 405, nForce 410, and nForce 430 graphics chipsets:
    NVIDEA Motherboard GPU Technical Specifications

Not Compatible:
  • AMD Sempron processors
  • AMD K7, K6, K6-2, or K6-III processors
  • Motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets

filosofem
Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 PM

A) Have you installed the latest drivers and firmware update for the AxiomPro from the M-Audio site? Version 5.10.00.5129 for Windows XP users.

B) Have you tried reloading the template #3 Protools on your AxiomPro?

C) Most importantly, you are selecting the initial bank and preset from the ProTools RTAS preset menu CORRECT? You need to do this. You cannot select from the preset selector within Xpand. The +/- buttons on the AxiomPro control movement through the RTAS presets not any on the plugin.

Busch.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningbusch View Post
A)
C) Most importantly, you are selecting the initial bank and preset from the ProTools RTAS preset menu CORRECT? You need to do this. You cannot select from the preset selector within Xpand. The +/- buttons on the AxiomPro control movement through the RTAS presets not any on the plugin.

Busch.
Hi Busch, hmmmnn, point C might shed some light. I selected my initial preset through the Xpand2 preset browser, and not the RTAS standard one. I will try this when I get home from work (damn, it's only 10am here in Dublin!)

filosofem, I use an AMD X2 4400+ but PTLE has always worked fine with this CPU. I can't remember if I ever installed the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer you mention. Will look into it.

As it happens, I am about to buy a new intel i7 PC

Thanks guys.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Whether you are using Factory Settings or User Settings navigation should be through the Plug-In Librarian Menu. Selecting either Factory or User Settings folder then Category and finally Patch Name. Axiom Pro will only step through the Patch Names.

This I read with your first post which prompted alternatives. If the above is not how you are stepping through presets then you can disregard the alternatives.

How have you setup your Xpand!2 User Settings folder?

filosofem
Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 AM

All is working fine now guys! Thanks for the help. Once I select presets through the ProTools RTAS menu it works as expected.