Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-02-2023, 08:11 AM

Default TC metadata??

Received an AAF from Media Composer. I recorded the original audio and I know it had TC on it. It was synced with picture and somehow the TC was lost. Boring but sometimes editors screw things up. I had to sync things manually, all it takes is time. But, and here’s my question. How come there’s time information in the clips but not in the metadata fields? The numbers are correct but PT couldn’t reconnect to the original channel files that I needed.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2023, 04:57 PM
Sounds In Sync

Default Re: TC metadata??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svante Biörnstad View Post
How come there’s time information in the clips but not in the metadata fields?
If the WAVs you show were created by Media Composer while exporting the AAF that you loaded into PT, then I'm not sure either. The AAF obviously has the correct source TCs in it if they are displayed in the PT clips.

I get in future that you would like this to work in PT if you see this again, but if it's a bigger project and you can't, I'd expect you'll be able to assemble all original media with the EdiLoad assembly window. It can load an AAF or even a PT session to get the correct source TCs, then use this to link to your original WAVs.

Best regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 05-08-2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svante Biörnstad View Post
Boring but sometimes editors screw things up. I had to sync things manually, all it takes is time. But, and here’s my question. How come there’s time information in the clips but not in the metadata fields?
In MC's export AAF option there is an option to select use "Use Edit Protocol". If this was not checked by the editor it MAY have been the culprit in your issue.

FWIW A quick look at the latest version of MC shows the new MC Export to Pro Tools/ Export as Pro Tools session. This has an option to "Embed Field Recorder bin Metadata in audio" (not checked by default)
I now prefer this option over the traditional MC AAF export.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:02 PM

The 'edit protocol' was something to do with >2Gb files I think - not sure what would reset start TC to zero.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:36 AM

I have seen TC stripped out of audio files if the audio went through any kind of transcoding process. In my case, sending the audio through a FFMPEG script to convert from 16/44.1 to 24/48.

Not sure if that applies here, but it might be worth looking into to see if the editor transcoded the audio to a format and didn't keep the metadata.
Denver, CO