Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Tempo matching to already recorded song

I need to figure out how to get the tempo grid of my session to match the tempo my song was recorded at. Confused yet? This song was originally recorded on analog at 90 bpm and I imported it into protools, set up protools to run at 90 bpm, matched up the first few clicks from the click tracks and all was well......until the end of the song.....there is some slight drift in timing. I'm not sure where to go from here but I seem to remember their is a function that would allow me to set up say a tempo map based on markers? is that correct? maybe I'm thinking of Logic? Anyways if anybody knows how to do this in Pro Tools I'd love to hear.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2004, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Tempo matching to already recorded song

Use the Tab to Transient function. Hold down the shift key and use the tab key and it will highlite a section of the track,, count out one bar at a time and then select the IDENTIFY BEAT dialogue,, tell it what bars you are at,, ie,, 1/0/00 to 2/0/00 keep doing this for your whole song and your golden,, if your drift isnt to bad you might want to just IDB every 2 bars,,
Old 06-17-2004, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Tempo matching to already recorded song

For a visual of this, check out the DiSK link up at the top. Click on DiSk Ficks, then watch the one called Identify the Beat.

This should help.

I've done Remixes where I locked loops & sequences to a Grid at the BPM of the original song, then I snapped the loops & sequences to the Grid with the TCE tool so they were locked and didn't drift. Then it's just like building blocks, copy and paste to arrange your song. It's an incredible feature to use for arrangement & editing.

I've never gone through and tried to lock a song or acapella to the grid bar by bar. That seems to be a pain in the ass. I've time stretched whole songs with Ableton Live, bar by bar. It's a bit easier than using Pro Tools bar by bar. It's still tough to keep it sounding natural and not drift though.

I'm not exactlly sure what you are trying to do, but I hope this helps a little. I'm interested to hear other peoples approach.